How Many Powerheads do i Need?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting a 46 Gallon tank and a Bak Pak 2 skimmer that comes with a Rio 600 that does 200 GPH, and i was gonna get a maxi jet 1200 which pumps 295 gallons per hour. my question is, is this enough? do you count the one that powers the skimmer? Also, i plan on getting two heaters, so i can have them both on if one goes off the other will keep the temp right, how many watts should these be?

TIA, Jeff

I would suggest 2 MJ 900's or 1200's
The flow your getting from your skimmer isn't going to add up to 200gph.
it just needs that strong of a pump to push it into the injector or venturi.
flow coming out of your skimmer might be 50gph or so(guessing at 50gph)

I'd say so...for a 46 gal. You're shooting for a minimum of 460gph total flow. More is better though. One thing you want is turbulence in the water instead of laminar flow. Aim the powerheads so that their flow collides with each other. I'd probably start out with one at each end of the tank. You can always add a third later if you see a need.

I have a mag 7 pumping water from the sump into my 55g, would that and one MJ-1200 be enough?
For a FOWLR I would think that would be okay. A second maxi-jet would give you a more caotic water flow and help eliminate dead spots in the tank though.

I'm still trying to reuglate my flow with 2 powerheads and the return from my pump. The current was so strong that it threw my bangai cardinal into a tailspin. My PJ card hadles it ok, but then there's the problem of feeding time. DO you turn th PHs off when you feed?

I haven't quite figured this one out yet.

Back
Top Bottom