how thick should glass be and should there be a support brace on the bottoms of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I bought what I think is a 45 gallon tank, but I JUST measured the thickness of the glass, and It's 3/16 inch, plus the trim is plastic made to look like wood. And then there is the support brace, there is a glass one 8 inches long on the top of the tank, but nothing on the bottom to help with the weight. Is this ok, or is this a terrarium?!?

For a 45 gallon tank, with a factor of safety of 2.5, the glass ought to be 1/4" thick.

Plastic trim that looks like wood is normal. The glass brace, not so much. I think that may be a terrarium. I have never had a 45, so someone might have a different opinion, but to me, you would want 1/4" glass on a tank that size.

Ok, so much for 3/16 in. glass, I remeasured and the glass is a 1/4 inch on the sides, and just a HAIR under 1/4 inch on the front and back, so do anyone no how I can improvise a support for the bottom of the tank? It doesn't have a bottom brace on the bottom, but its a tempered glass 45 gallon tank.

I don't think you need a brace for the bottom. It ought to be fine if it is 1/4" glass.

If it is a used tank, you may want to water check it outside in case something goes horribly wrong.

I think I'd prefer to have a brace, just to be safe. It's the dimensions of a standard 55 gallon tank, but just two inches shorter. So I think it'll need a brace. How should I improvise?

I've never seen a bottom tank brace. When they are braced, they are braced at the top.

Uhh, I thought all tank more than 35 had one between the bottom glass and the stand in the middle on bottom.

Lt. said:
Uhh, I thought all rants more than 35 had one between the bottom glass and the stand in the middle on bottom.

I have a 180g and there is no brace on the bottom...

Ok, I guess it'll be ok then, but I have another 45 I'm selling and it has a braces on bottom.

But to be clear, with the exception of the edges, there is nothing under the tank.

I think the OP is talking about the plastic trim that should be on the bottom, but isn't... Right?

Yep, I think, see, there is a plastic price on one tank the runs from front-back (short ways) in the very middle in the bottom of one tank, but not the other

I'm really not too sure about the piece that runs front to back across the middle underneath,, but I am GUESSING that it depends on if the bottom is tempered glass or not. There should definitely be a trim piece that goes around the bottom of the tank tho...

If it looks like it hasn't been tampered with I would guess its ok. Maybe call Aqueon and ask their tech line for info... Also make sure to water test

Back
Top Bottom