How to decide on what sump pump I need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See I'm not quite sure about it. I know I'm going to keep mainly softies an Lps with the odd clam. What would be the optimal flow for a tank like this? It's roughly 48in x 13 in x 20in

See I'm not quite sure about it. I know I'm going to keep mainly softies an Lps with the odd clam. What would be the optimal flow for a tank like this? It's roughly 48in x 13 in x 20in

Shoot for 10x - 40x the display volume per hour for total flow through the display tank. So for a 55g tank you are gonna want 550 gph - 2200 gph.

With a sump / refugium you are gonna want to shoot for no more than 20x the tank volume per hour although 10x is the common shooting point.

So if you figure 200gph in flow from your sump you are going to want to add 350gph - 2000gph in the display with powerheads or other filters.

Danner Mag Drive pumps are pretty good, just be sure to figure in head height as it will decrease the flow rate.

Mebbid brings up a good point. Since you are aiming for 10x, you may want to get 15x the volume from a numbers standpoint, but from a practical standpoint it will be lower.

10x flow for filter.
Get a oversized pump(1000 gph max.) to account for headloss.
You can throttle or t the return but many pumps make heat so you don't want to big IMO.
750-1000 gph IMO.
Unless filter return really moves water in tank it does not count towards circulation IMO.
Circulation can easily be 20x tank volume with some going 40x +.

Im calculating on about 3ft of head loss an on a 700 gph mag, that puts me at 450 roughly. So I've been looking looking at the 950 pond master mag or the 1200 mag pond master. I can't decide what would be better for a 1in return.

Im calculating on about 3ft of head loss an on a 700 gph mag, that puts me at 450 roughly. So I've been looking looking at the 950 pond master mag or the 1200 mag pond master. I can't decide what would be better for a 1in return.
My 75g runs fine on a mag 9.5 so it should do well for you.

I have a "aqueon Mega overflow" (single overflow with standard bulkheads I'll look for exact size?) and run pump all out no prob.
Most say all average 1" overflows can handle 750 gph(used to be 650 ish?).
Here's a flow chart (note GPM minute/GPH Hour)
#1 FlexPVC®.com PVC presents GPM/GPH Flow based on PVC Pipe Size, ie, How much water can flow through Sch 40 Pvc Pipe Size 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 3" 4" 6"

all my sumps flow 1 1/4 inch (basement sump pump corrugated hose),
and the mags have vinyl hose that fits the pumps out put.
IO take the screws out of the "housing " on mags and fit the hose in store still!
IMO 3/4 ID.
I like re enforced tubing for returns as it kinks less.

You aren't going to use this for flow, just to feed the components in the sump. I'd go with a mag7 or 9.5 or a Quiet One 3000-4000. As long as the pumps on the components in the sump aren't larger than the return, everything will run at peak efficiency.

1" bulkhead going straight down is rated for something in the 600 GPH.

Never rely on your return/filter pump for water movement. Your protein skimmer is a beautiful piece of equipment that will seriously help improve your water quality. You want water to move SLOWLY past the skimmer so it can collect more particulates. Ideally a skimmer is also after mechanical filtration. Water passing through a refugium would also be better off at slower rates. I recommend aquarist AIM for a 5x turnover rate in the sump.

Try to use flex tubing as this will decrease micro bubbles and is just easier to work with imo. I would use 3/4" flex on your overflow from the 1" bulkhead after an immediate 90 degree

I wouldn't want a loud expensive vibrating pump when it's not necessary for most applications.

Back
Top Bottom