I have a question about t-5 lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemmer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Generally compared to regular flourescent fixtures the t-5's have less watt output. Since they are t-5 is less watts required for corals, and also better?

I have a sundial T-5 with actinic, daylight, and moonlight LED's with built in timers and I love it!

Wattage isnt everything in this case. T5 are more intense and will penetrate the water greater than T8's will. The set would be fine for quite a few corals. Others will have better responses. My tank has a total of 5.8watts per gallon.

Ok. Mostly i just want mushrooms and maybe a toadstool and those say low to moderate lighting. I think 3.5w should work for those.

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion. I agree with Justin as far as intensity. WPG is a very broad rule that has become quite outdated but it`s sometimes easier to convey to newbies than intensity or par.

Well i went with that 156w 36" t-5. I think is should be a huge upgrade from my 24" 65w under canopy coralife pc. My tank dimensions are 36x12x24-high. So its a tall 45 gallon, but i feel the lighting should be perfect.

I started reading reviews on this thing and people say the old ones catch fire. How do i know if i have the old magnetic ballast or the new electronic one?

Generally since you have recently ordered it; it should be a new ballast. You shouldn't have to worry in my opinion. If the catching fire was a common problem it would have been fixed and never used the old again.

Back
Top Bottom