Ideas for covering up sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bix

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

I have a 135G tank with a metal stand. The sump is sitting on the bottom of the stand, so it is off the ground.

I am wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to cover this up? My idea was to get some industrial type velcro to the frame of the stand, and then attach some kind of material to it so that I can access it easily.

Not sure if this is the best option though?

I can explain this better if it doesn't make sense.

My main reason for wanting to do this is to block the light from my CFL over my refuge from getting out.

How fancy are you willing to go? That metal stand could be encased in some nice plywood. You could make the front panel quick-release or make cabinet doors for it.

That's a good idea, and would probably look the best. Thing is I'm pushing my do-it-yourselfer side to the limit already by drilling my tank and doing the plumbing haha.

I'm not really good with this kind of stuff. How would you attach the plywood to the stand?

Attaching the wood to the stand really depends on what kind of stand you have. You could potentially drill small holes in the stand at use small screws.

don't attach

You shouldn't even attach the wood to the stand. Build a box like structure the dimensions of bottom of stand, 3 sided, leaving back open and paint whatever color you want. Then simply slide the 3 sided thing around stand from front. If you want you can simply slide a piece of plywood behind. If you want to get a little more involved, add a hinged door to front of this 3 sided box. Open door for easy & quick access and when you need more access you can simply slide the entire 3 sided thing out. Hope you understand what I'm talking about.

I do understand what you mean and that is a definite possibility.

I would need a door on there to get to the sump every day, that's why the velcro seemed like a good choice.

I just need to find some people with the right tools and who can help build it!

Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom