I'm new to this forum and filters for a 125g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fenderfuel

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new here :) and fairly new to aquariums. I've had a 55g before with the HOB biowheel filters. However this new tank i got has a canopy that doesn't permit HOB filters without having to cut into the wood. It's going to be a 125g freshwater tank that I plan on putting some native fish (from here in minnesota) in (bluegill, a 3" northern pike, or maybe a a 3" walleye). I've never had a canister filter before and I was lookin online and found a couple a rena xp3 or xp4, fluval fx5, fluval 405. Anyways, I don't like having to clean the tank all that often, so i was wondering if going with the p4 or fx5 would be too much water flow etc... I can get the fx5 for $211 and the xp3 for $122, and the xp4 for $161. Anybody have any recommendations? even if you prefer a different filter. I also want one that is very easy to clean and isn't going to leak on me etc... oh and my wife isn't too crazy on spending a whole lot of money on the fish tank, so cheaper is better, but I'll pay more for a quality filter that i'm not going to have to replace or dump a bunch of money into sooner than later. I had also read that the rena's don't come with all the proper filter media so there is an added cost there... any advise?

I have both the XP4 and FX5. Both have their pluses and minuses. Both are high quality.

The XP4 is the easiest filter I have to clean. It would not do my 125 gal barb tank by itself. I had to add a second filter.

The FX5 is a beast and would handle a 125 gallon no problem. It can be a little messy to maintain.

I forgot to say neither came with all the media. You can really cut costs using pot scrubbers as the bio.

thanks, i think I'm going to get the fluval even though its messier to clean. Found it for 197$ so its only $40 more than the reva. Wish fish keeping was cheaper ;)

Some people call them scrubbies. They are made out of nylon or plastic and used to scrub pots and dishes. They have a lot of surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow on. They are also very cheap. I can usually buy 6 for $1 at any of the local dollar stores. Just google scrubbies if you want to see a picture of them.

Back
Top Bottom