Is there such thing as a back-up generator for tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm concerned about future power outages because it tends to happen every now and then with thunderstorms. I wanted to know if there is such thing as a back up generator for tanks? I'm not trying to invest in an 800$ generator. Just like a battery operated one if that exists. I have 2 20 gallons tanks and I just have a fear of losing all of my hard work. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Here there is nothing specifically except battery powered air-pumps that fishing people also use. I've looked at say $400 entry-level gen sets here but never managed to justify the cost. Some friends with saltwater tanks have gen sets that probably cost more than my freshwater tank so just depends what you want and can afford I guess.

Server battery back ups as hank mentioned should work. I got a decent little gas generator for $350, works very well.

Yeah I have a small UPS on my set up but I work for the company that sells them so I got one for free (lucky me!). You can probably get one cheap second hand and just replace its batteries (not hard at all, youtube has some helpful tutorials). If you have really long outages, maybe just put the bare essentials on the UPS ie filter and whatever else your tank relies on heavily.

since I live in a apartment I cannot have a generator so i bought like 6-8 battery operated air pumps that you can get in the fishing department of Walmart or Academy. i put 4 on my 125 when our electricity went out during a hurricane that came through Houston several years ago and our power was out for 8 hours luckily while others where without power for like a week.

Back
Top Bottom