Kenmore fridge water filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got a new Kenmore fridge since the old one went up in flames (literally) and it says the water is filtered. I'm not exactly sure what that means. Is it RO water, DI water, or both? Is there a way to test for chloramines?

If the fridge came with a technical manual, you may need to crack open that beast of a booklet to figure out the exact specs of the filter. It may be RO, or it may be a simple carbon filter like Brita.

Either way, if you're going to use that water for your aquarium - it is better to be safe than sorry and still treat with a dechlorinator every change.

No, we're renting so the owners picked it out and changed it. Would a carbon filter take out chlorine? Also, just to be safe, I have been putting prime to dechlorinate

Here's some quick information that I was able to look up:

Activated carbon filters will remove chlorine.

Activated carbon filters will NOT remove chloramine unless the water spends Several minutes flowing through the carbon (ie. Not a filter that just spits water out)

RO filters will NOT remove chloramine.

So - I'd say the best thing to do is try and figure out what the exact model number of you fridge is, and then do an online search and you may be able to find a digital copy of the manual. Because if you use this thing for fish, you should not only know what it filters, but also if it needs replacements on a regular basis and to make sure your landlord has that covered.

Those in fridge filters are generally carbon based, and they need to be changed every 3 months or so to remain effective. If you are filling your aquarium from it, it might even need changed more frequently. My suggestion would be to skip using it for your tanks, and just use tap water and a good dechlorinator (depending on your particular application). There won't be a significant difference in the water quality... and burning through those filters can get expensive.

fort384 said:
Those in fridge filters are generally carbon based, and they need to be changed every 3 months or so to remain effective. If you are filling your aquarium from it, it might even need changed more frequently. My suggestion would be to skip using it for your tanks, and just use tap water and a good dechlorinator (depending on your particular application). There won't be a significant difference in the water quality... and burning through those filters can get expensive.

Lol you're acting like I'm going to pay for it..... It's just going to be top off water only though, I'm not going to use it for water changes.

I would be surprised if a land lord would pay the cost of replacing the filter. If they will though, that's great. Either way, the benefits of using it for an aquarium won't be all that high.

Back
Top Bottom