Lightbulbs??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrage22

Aquarium Advice Freak
So as i've been told, and as I can see, my 15 watt bulb isn't enough for my 28 gallon bf. If i want to purchase a higher watt bulb, do i need to look for a specific bulb that will screw into my hood?? Or are all bulbs compatible as long as the length of the bulb is about right with the hood??

So as i've been told, and as I can see, my 15 watt bulb isn't enough for my 28 gallon bf. If i want to purchase a higher watt bulb, do i need to look for a specific bulb that will screw into my hood?? Or are all bulbs compatible as long as the length of the bulb is about right with the hood??

So is your light a florescent (long tube) fixture or does it have screw in bulbs like a reading lamp might have?

if it's a florescent fixture, you can't change the watts of the bulb unless you replace the ballast to match it. If they screw in, you can get a number of different CFL bulbs in varying wattages.

IMO for a 28g tank, the minimum you want is 30w of power.

Yes its florescent. Heres a picture, it looks like the bulb is specially fit for that ?ballast? you call it?? Could i find a higher wattage bulb that will fit??

Attachments

• IMAG0615.jpg
    IMAG0615.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 67
Yes its florescent. Heres a picture, it looks like the bulb is specially fit for that ?ballast? you call it?? Could i find a higher wattage bulb that will fit??

Not a higher wattage, just a bulb of the same wattage with a different (color) spectrum. The bulb or fixture should say what the wattage is.

If you want more power (watts) you'll need to get a fixture that has a more power, or 2 bulbs that could double (?) what you have now. The ballast is built in behind that white reflector and the truth is a bigger ballast and bulb in that fixture would cost more than to get a new fixture.

If you're not worried about looks, go to HD or Lowe's and look a shop type fixtures with more power that will fit on your tank

Maybe I missed it but is this for a FW or SW tank? But I do agree with Mr. L that if you are wanting more intensity and power than you`ll need another fixture.

Maybe I missed it but is this for a FW or SW tank? But I do agree with Mr. L that if you are wanting more intensity and power than you`ll need another fixture.

FW. Another fixture, mmm.. sounds expensive:ermm:. I thought i'd just be able to buy a higher wattage bulb and just hook it into the hood..
Sorry im a big time n00b with all this and honestly have no idea what im talking about, or wut you guys are talking about for that matter:facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom