Lighting -- understanding what I have and how to use it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
As some of you have seen -- I purchased a 48'' Current USA Outer Orbit HQI + Powercompact + Lunar Light Fixture 2x150w 10k HQI MI w/ 2x130 Dual Actinic light for my 72in tank. I am just centering it on my tank. About 10in above water line. I am going to concentrate on Fish and LR but will have some very easy / light inverts and Corals.

each side of this light has a 48'' blue bulb and white bulb. When turned on all 4 bulbs light up. Then it also has a separate switch to turn on the MH.

Now my dumb questions ---

• How should I use this light? Do I turn the MH and blue/white strips on and off at the same times? Or do I put the white / blue ones on for a certain period and then shut them off and turn on MH?
  • Are the white / blue combo lights considers "Actinic" only or 50/50 Actinic Flourescent? It really confuses me because I see some lights that just have blue and not with the white....
  • It's sitting on top of the open top canopy..... but 9 in below it are two plastic braces that stretch across the top of the glass tank....these two braces will be right under the MH lights (but 9 or so inches below it) -- will this affect the MH? Will the MH burn through these? If so, should I just off center the light on top of the canopy? (the braces are basically about 2in each in width.
Thanks for your help.

For a light schedule I do 30min actinics-7hours both-30min actinics.

If the pc's are blue and white, they are 50/50 if just blue, they are actinics.

You shouldn't experience shadows from the braces.

tm's schedule is a good starting point. It depends on what K rating your MH is and how much blue you like and when you do your most viewing of your tank. 10" above for the MH is more then likely okay. When you first start using your light check to see how hot the braces get. Does your light have more then one power cord? if so you can put them on a timer so the light will be on a constant time each day. 50/50 means one side is actinic and one side is white light more then likely 10k. The braces should not pose any problem as far as blocking any light to the AQ. Check the heat.....and raise the light if you have to.

Thanks, I think that is it. so when I flip the switch both "white / daylight" and actinic lights go on at once (then separate switch for MH). So are "daylight" lights the same as flourescent?

you have compact flourescents whether or not it's daylight or actinics's they are both the same type of light just different Kelvin ratings. You know like orange juice and lemon juice are both juice. lol

Back
Top Bottom