Limiting flow on a canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fort384

Dividing by 0
Site Team
Does anyone foresee negative consequences by limiting the flow on an Eheim classic canister filter by using the quick disconnect valves (ie closing them half way)?

I believe it may reduce the life of the pump but not by a great deal. Just make sure you don't over restrict it or you may find your canister pipes will pop off! What is the reason you are restricting them? If it's to get more pressure on the out flow I would recommend just getting a reducing nozzle... I wouldn't reduce the water flow entering the pump, just my opinion.

if you partially close the exhaust port it will not hurt the pump, but if you do so to the intake, it will hurt the pump.

Thanks for the replies. I want to limit flow to reduce the current produced in the tank. I am using a 2213 on a 5.5 gal tank, so cutting the flow in half should still provide ample filtration.

Why not just use a sponge filter?
Flow only as much as air or powerhead will give it.

I was wondering how such a large cannister was working on such a small tank. Your shrimp must be in the cleanest, most luxurious water in captivity.

Thanks for the replies. I want to limit flow to reduce the current produced in the tank. I am using a 2213 on a 5.5 gal tank, so cutting the flow in half should still provide ample filtration.

Neither would I. If there's too much current, you can drill the spraybar holes bigger.

I was wondering how such a large cannister was working on such a small tank. Your shrimp must be in the cleanest, most luxurious water in captivity.

Wow I missed that! All I can picture are shrimp flying around the tank like debris in a tornado :D

It actually works out ok once the filter is established and the flow settles in at it's normal operating level. It also helps that I am using a lily pipe inflow, so the spray bar is not in use. But for the first month, before the filter has matured, the flow is a little much.

So I have a few votes for yes you can use the valve on the outflow side, and a few votes for no, don't do it. Anyone have any reasons to go with the assertions? I am leaning towards it being ok on the outflow side so long as it is not overly restricted. The pump would still get laminar flow with no cavitation, so the only issue is pressure on the fittings and valves, which seem substantial enough to absorb a 25% increase in pressure. I would like to hear reasons for it being bad.

Back
Top Bottom