Looking for filtration suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a fluval 304 and I'm thinking of adding another filter sort of like a back up or just and additional one. I'm thinking of maybe a Whisper or something not sure what size to get either.

well, guess it depends on how much you want to spend and wether or not you want to stick with a canister. No doubt about it, the HOB filters are a lot cheaper and do a great job. Plus you could pop it off and start your next tank off with it ! As for size, you can never have too much, can you? The aquaclear filters get a lot of good press here on AA. I like the fluvals.

If your looking for mechanical filtration then any good HOB will work. If you want additional Bio filtration then maybe a HOB bio wheel filter. Fluidized bed filters give your tank excellent amounts of bio filtration. My fav for bio filtration :) UGF.

I personally like whisper brand. the refill catridges are really cheap and they do a great job. the penguin models are really good, but the refills are rediculous. i have an emperor 400 and the cartridges are like 10 bucks for 2 at the store. and the filter takes 2 at a time! so i had to buy them online a l;ittle cheaper, but still. i learned my lesson!
the whispers have a bio sponge, so just like the more expensive bio wheel models, you still have great bio filtration.

HOB ... definately go with an Aqua Clear filter ... you can retrofit a bio-wheel onto it, i know some have done it before. If you want to spend a little bit more cash then i would perosnally go with an eheim 2213 or more. They may not have a high GPH filteration rate ... but the job they do is just incredible.

I have an aqua clear on my 10 gallon tank. I like how that works so I think I have to get a larger version for my 50 gallon. Maybe a Aqua clear 200 or 300. At 300 gph + 260 gph (fluval) = 560 gph. Which comes out to over 11x turnover. Would that be over kill?

I reccomend the Emporer 280 or 400. The media for them may be a tad on the high side but u will have unsurpassed mechanical chemical and biological filtration!

JMHO

I would definitely choose the Emperor or Aquaclear over the Whisper. I only use Emperors and ACs and I've never used a Whisper, but I have heard a lot of people say that the Whispers aren't that great. You can get the AC 300 for $20 on Big Al's.

I ended up ordering a Aqua clear 300 and an additional power head just incase I need more circulation.

Back
Top Bottom