marker that's safe to use inside PWC container?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just made a few changes and upgrades to my general maintenance, including getting a 44gal Rubbermaide Brute for water changes. For conditioners and treatments, I want to know how much water I have so I don't over or under-dose. Will use 5gal carboys to fill up the trashcan to measure amounts (probably in 10gal increments) but I'm not sure how to mark the levels.

Can I use a regular, non-toxic black marker or do I need something drinking-water specific? Seems stupid but don't want to invest in all this stuff, then kill my fish with $2 marker

Sharpie makes one called the "rub-a-dub" its waterproof and doesnt release anything.

Thanks but having trouble finding that in stores. Is the rub-a-dub the only/best marker for something like this?

I bought my first one in a store, AAFES which might be hard for a civilian to get to. I have since bought them off ebay.

May seem primitive but I did something similar to what you are doing before I found out about the wonders of a Python. I heated up a knife with a lighter then made a mark on the plastic with the knife (don't go all the way through!!). Wasn't as easy to see as a black line but it did what I needed.

I have since bought them off ebay.

Thanks. Still need to try some of the hobby and office supply stores around me but may be checking out eBay too.

May seem primitive but I did something similar to what you are doing before I found out about the wonders of a Python. I heated up a knife with a lighter then made a mark on the plastic with the knife (don't go all the way through!!). Wasn't as easy to see as a black line but it did what I needed.

Maybe a bit primitive but an awesome idea & it will be a good chance to see how well my Miracle Blades really work (anything can cut thru drywall but etching into heavy-duty trashcan could be a challenge)! Sure it won't weaken the trashcan though? 300+ lbs of water in by hallway kinda scares me, I want my deposit back!
As for the Python, I agree completely as my Aqueon system made life soooo much easier but unfortunately my tap water seems to be bad for both my tanks:(

If you do it lightly I don't see how it would reduce the integrity of the can. I'm not saying to cut through it or anything, just 'etch' the surface so you can see it more visibly or run your finger over to feel it.

Thanks, knew it would have to be fairly light scratching, just paranoid (or terrified) about the walls of the trashcan giving out! Etching it would definitely be easier to do since water will be in the trashcan, then maybe when it's dry get the Rub-a-Dub marker.
Awesome, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom