Metal Halide's vs Power Compacts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FPandMM

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased a new light. It's a Coralife with 2 150 watt metal Halides a two 96 watt True Actinic Blue. My old lighting system was power compacts 2 96w 10k and 2 96w Actinic. I use to run the 10k PC for about 8 hours and the Actinic's for 10. Does the same hold true for the Halides?

On a 55 gal but soon to be a 95 gal in a week or two.

Personally, I run all my lights at the same time. I think it is really a personal preference 8-10 hours seem to be a decent, natural lighting schedule, some even like 12 hours.

I didn't know if I could run the halides as long. I don't want to bleach any corals. I do notice they evaporate water alot faster.

You are going to have to acclimate your corals to the higher intensity lighting. I would run the MH's for only 2 hours per day for the first week. Then increase that 2 hours per day per week. For example, 2 hours per day the first week, 4 hours per day week two, 6 hours per day week three ..... About 8-10 hours per day for the MH's should provide sufficient amounts of light.

The actinic PC's can be run for 12 hours per day from the very start.

Back
Top Bottom