mh pc what is good 4 me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mghslowell

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey everyone i have a 55g reef with 70lbs lr dsb mushrooms, carpet anemones some invertebres, manderine coral beauty , and marine cat .

i am currently running 2 65w 10k pc and 2 actinic 65w pc over my 48" tank

my tank has been successful to a point but i wish for thingsto thrive and may look to getting soft corals. i am looking around at Mh lighting and just wondering how much wattage i need and what size and do i run actinics as well as mh and what shedual would be great

thanks !

ok did some research and can get a fixture that has dual 175 mh bulbs and 2 110w actinic VHO bulbs on a 48 " fixture with ballast for 375 bucks is that sufficient for my tank ?

How deep is your tank? Depending on the depth, you could go with 175w MH or even 250w. Each one will cover approximately 2 feet, so two would suffice. Your carpet Anemone will thrive with MH lighting. Just make sure you use a slow acclimation period for the lighting so they can get used to it. Do you have a canopy for these for retro fit, or placing it over the glass?

Mike

If you plan on having just a couple high light corals/clam placed midway to high in the tank go w/ 175w MH's. If you want a "high light" reef- predominetly SPS's, clams, anemones-go w/ 250's. 175 would be sufficient in most circumstances on a 55gal. Beware of heat. I'm running 2x250's on my 55gal and w/ no heaters they keep my tank at 80-84 degrees(84 being in the summer months). I have to use an air conditioner in the summer.

Beware of heat. I'm running 2x250's on my 55gal and w/ no heaters they keep my tank at 80-84 degrees
I agree with that. My tank gets pretty hot, especially in Arizona. I ended up getting a chiller though for more consistent temperatures.

Mike

yeah only thing is i live in the east coast so the temp drops in theroom where the tank is considerable so ill prob have pc fans blowing out

but the 2 110 watt vho actinitics should be there too or is that neccessary?

and what schedual should i maintain?

thx for your help !

Back
Top Bottom