Need Filter Recommendation for new 125 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I will be transferring my 55 gal planted tank to a new 125 gal (yah!) Anyways, I will be using my current filter (simple HOB, w/o carbon filtration) in the tank until a suitable replacement can be located. I need some recommendations for filters, I figure I'll end up with a canister filter (which I have no experience with). I would like to add a powerhead to the tank as well (also no experience) and was wondering if I could use them both in series (like have the output of the canister flow through and out the powerhead)? If so, can you recommend a powerhead? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I recommend a Rena XP3 for your cannister filter. I just got one for my 55g and it is great. Its rated for a 175g tank, so it will work on your 125g. They are very quiet and have many choices for media. They also are not that expensive (~$100). Very much worth the price.

Sorry, I can't help you with the powerhead question. I also know nothing about them.

I would not put a powerhead on the output side of a cannister filter. You would be creating suction on the return line, and I'm not positive but it doesn't seem like it would be healthy for the cannister's pump.

I have two XP3s on my new 125....I love them so far....so quite you can't even tell thay are on. Easy to set up too! If you use the "bio bag" that Filstar suggests, that will take care of your carbon and other bio needs...wouldn't worry about any additional carbon though unless you get into removing meds, etc.

Drs. Foster and Smith have a good price on them right now...the XP3s that is...

Good luck

I would go with an Eheim classic 2217 before dual XP3's personaly.

Planted tanks dont need extra cycles, you use the filter for mechanical filtration only pretty much. check out the stickys in the planted tank fourm :p

I wouldn't put a power head in a planted tank either..

If you plan on CO2 injection down the road it will only add to surfase trubulance. unless of course you mod. it into a power difuser.
Ok there's a use.. the Mai-Jet line is cheap and very effective :p

I've always used powerheads in my planted tanks. Just make sure they don't cause any surface movement. I have two maxi-jets outfitted with extra hose on the intakes and they're run under my gravel. So including my filter, I have three intakes on the right side, and three outputs on the left. Very good way to recreate a river effect... just tricky to reduce surface movement.

As far as putting the powerhead on the return line, it depends on what type of filter you get. And even then, it either does nothing or hurts your pump motor. The Eheim classic's use magnets to drive the impeller in your pump. There's only so fast they will spin. If you use a powerhead to try and make it spin faster, it might. But only as fast as the powerhead is capable of (taking into account they're not designed to have any 'head'.) And if your filters impeller is mechanically driven, you're just going to put pressure on the motor.

An analogy: You tie a rope to yourself and your friend. Your both capable of running at 12 kph. If they lead the run, will you be going 24kph or 12kph? Or they'll drag you, but not at 12kph....

You would get a greater flow in your tank by running them in series. Place the return for your filter on whatever side of your tank you choose. Using your hand, find where you can't feel the flow anymore. Put your next powerhead there. Rinse repeat.

Back
Top Bottom