Need Help Deciding on an Aquarium (Boyu/Juwel/AquaOne)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kieren

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm currently looking to upgrade my 63L tank to something bigger.

So far given the limited choices I have where I live and not wanting to spend a huge sum on shipping I've narrowed my choices down to these 3:

The 150L Boyu LYG-800 (LYG- - Aquarium - Products - GUANGDONG BOYU GROUP CO.,LTD.)
- $800 (down from $1200)

The 180L Juwel Rio 180 (JUWEL® Aquarium | Rio 180 black)
- $880 (down from $1300)
- Includes a few extras (gravel, quick start, fake plants, etc.)

The 180L AquaOne Brilliance 80 (Brilliance 80 Rectangular 180L Aquarium Set (black))
Package from PetStock which includes extras like gravel, heater, plants, water test kit, gravel vac, and bottles of quick start, water conditioner, and stress zyme.
- Approx $1000 - $1100 (cant remember exact price)

Or the 225L AquaOne Briliance 100 (Brilliance 100 Rectangular 225L Aquarium Set (black))
With all the same extras as the 80.
- $1189

At the moment I'm decided on the Boyu purely because I like the look and shape (I'd prefer a thinner/taller aquarium) of the aquarium a lot more than any of the others. The issue I have is I don't know much about the quality of the Boyu range and I cant seem to find anything about them on the internet. I'm not too sure about the overhead filter system it has but I was planning on either buying a power filter or a canister filter in the near future for it.

The other problem I might have will be buying replacement parts for the Boyu or the Juwel aquariums as no one in my town generally stocks anything aside from AquaOne or a small range of Fluval parts.

So please if anyone has any experience with these aquariums please share it with me.

Thanks in advance (y)

These would be just my thoughts (which are regularly ignored at home).

I'm not a fan of tanks that over-hang the stand. I know they are safe but I don't like the look or the edges.

Tank size rules. I'd go with the largest tank you can afford (and then get next size up anyways). Also I like to add my own lighting and filters or at least have space to do so. So not a fan of the "one package". Again this is just me.

Taller tanks are harder to light and can be slightly less better for stocking as less "floor space". I have a taller tank though and it's perfect for angelfish.

These would be just my thoughts (which are regularly ignored at home).

I'm not a fan of tanks that over-hang the stand. I know they are safe but I don't like the look or the edges.

Tank size rules. I'd go with the largest tank you can afford (and then get next size up anyways). Also I like to add my own lighting and filters or at least have space to do so. So not a fan of the "one package". Again this is just me.

Taller tanks are harder to light and can be slightly less better for stocking as less "floor space". I have a taller tank though and it's perfect for angelfish.

Yeah I personally don't like the look of the overhang either, but the Juwel tanks are supposedly some of the best quality.

I don't have a whole lot of room for a huge tank, if I did that would be my go to option.

I plan on stocking it with multiple angelfish as I already have 2 juveniles in my 63L so I need to upgrade regardless just to keep them as happy as can be. Would the Boyu, albeit the smaller size, be ideal for angelfish?
The only reason I'm even considering the Boyu is because its down to $800 from $1200 which is a really good deal for where I live.
I'd love a longer tank similar but slightly less tall as the Boyu, but like I said I'm pretty limited with choices.

Thanks for your reply.

I've always had juwel. Rio and vision. I preferred the Rio but it wouldn't fit in my front room so I sold it. They come with T5HO lighting which offers good par lighting at the depth of the Rio for most aquarium plants. They are good quality tanks. The Rio cabinet is slightly narrow and you may struggle to get some canister filters inside. You can't use any light tube, you have to buy theirs as the sizes are odd. They usually come with a built in filter rated at about 3 times turnover. They are now made so they can be removed which offers space.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have my angelfish (7 of mixed size) in a 4ft tank and I don't breed them or anything so can only offer what I have found to date. Of the 3 large ones, two have staked out claim areas about a foot by a foot (maybe slightly more) at either end of the tank. I have a large centre piece ornament and well planted so they can move away from each other (as well as up/down). They get along ok but bicker up and down the tank, especially if not well fed. So my experience has been to allow a square foot for one or a pair (as then they are really not keen on any fish on the area at all). Having said that I find they get along fine with other fish once those fish make it past a week of being added.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom