Cleaning behind Housing in Juwel Rio 180 LED Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GabeC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello
I am hoping someone might be able to help me.
I purchased a new Juwel Rio 180 LED aquarium before Christmas of which we all love as a family and are slowly but surely getting to grips with live plants whilst always learning, feeding and enjoying our freshwater fish.
However, as you all know it does not come without its problems and one of these is that a number of my fish find their way under the inbuilt filter/heater/pump Housing and for whatever reason some fail to return.
This has been an issue with a couple of Tetras, a Platy and just recently both of my Hillstream Loach. The latter, being the loach, seemed happy enough living down the side of the housing but then one after another they too died and yes I can still see the bodies squashed in between the housing and the glass.
Upsetting enough that this happens, try as I might it is near impossible to reach and remove the dead fish and obviously we wish to remove these as I guess they are not doing the nitrates and/or nitrites any good in my tank.

As I grow live plants, my base is seachem substrate and yes, over this past couple of months this has worked it's way under the housing which some of the fish work on clearing the corner bits to get underneath.
I do actually change at least a third of the water in my tank each and every week and tidy as I go whilst cleaning as much as I can without harming the somewhat natural habitat I have created.
I guess I'm not the first this has happened to so would gladly and welcome any advice you might have.

Thank you in advance
Gabe

That's a tough one if you can't seal off. I haven't had that tank but used to regularly have fish disappear for months into under gravel filters.

Back
Top Bottom