Need help with picking hood lights ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm getting the hoods with lights for my 10 and 20 long gal tank because my grandpa's complaining of the electric bill so we're doing the flourescent lighting things. I got one with my 10 but it doesn't work anymore and the 20 didnt' come with one. I need suggestions of what to get because looking at petsmart.com (because I'm getting it from petsmart) we cant' really figure out what would be best. Any suggestions X.x My mom wants me to figure this out before i leave work so she can give me money...

I would go with Glass hoods and a simple flourescent light. Or if you wanted to go cheap, you could just get the plastic hoods. I don't know the measurements of the tank so I can't give you a direct link to the one to purchase.

We just wanted the plastic hood thingy, I know that it's 10 gal high (I think 20" long) and a 20 gal long (30" long I think)

We were looking at the Perfecto products..I just dont' know if the store has them or not

I don't know much about this stuff because, like you, I wasn't quite sure where to look, but after some research and instead of doing a retro-fitting project, last week at my LFS I got a new Coralife 24" double flourescent light w/two 14 watt slim flourescents on it to put on my cheap plastic hood that came with the starter kit I got.

I got it b/c I wanted to increase my wattage from <1 to about 1.4 wpg currently. It was about $52 at my LFS. No matter how I worked it, upgrading my lighting was going to cost me about that much to make a change, so I went with the one piece for a cleaner look instead of buying a new glass hood and a cheaper light to add to the one I already had, which would have looked like a messy hodge-podge. What's cool about it is that it's very slim. The problem is that it doesn't quite fit the old hood perfectly, so some light escapes and reflects onto the wall behind the tank. It's really no big deal, however, and it is made with little extension bars to slide out and rest securely on whatever type of hood or tank you have.

Anyway, I like what I bought and would recommend it. As far where to get it, I have no idea. Check out Big Al's or other large online retailers. Or if you have a good LFS, see what they have.

Back
Top Bottom