New filter time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Overfilter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm replacing my 6-year old FX6 with an OASE Biomaster 600 on Monday. The FX6 is going to replace my secondary filter (old and weird fluval 406), once I get a chance to refit it. My question is this what do you guys think of this media:

1. BrightWater Bio Media Ceramic Sphere
2. BrightWater Bio Media\mechanical H Sponge

The spheres will replace the plastic bio media that comes with the 850. The H sponges will replace 2 of the blue media sponges. I did enough research to make the selection, but supplemental opinions are always welcome. Did I mention how juiced I am about the upgrade? (y)

Okay, I took a chance and bought both SKU's. The H-sponges are fun and many of them needed to be separated by hand. I've read that depending on how they're packed can make them behave like moving bed. The sphere's are an engineering marvel. Hard as rock, but very permeable. The tank is cleaned and ready.

The last time I was so giggly about and upgrade I was about to build the newest gaming rig. I'll post pics when I figure out how. Wish me success and a new level of health for my wet babies! (y)

Remember that water flows through the path of least resistance. Your sponges will not do very much as the water will flow around them as proven. Hard media is very ineffective media and not as permeable as you think, as the internal structure will clog in about 2-3 weeks. It will work for ammonia oxidation if using enough. Good luck.

Remember that water flows through the path of least resistance. Your sponges will not do very much as the water will flow around them as proven. Hard media is very ineffective media and not as permeable as you think, as the internal structure will clog in about 2-3 weeks. It will work for ammonia oxidation if using enough. Good luck.

The hard bio media is designed to allow for some permeability (if you put a ball in your mouth you can blow through it a bit). It also holds water very well and has a very rough surface. The hard bio media is large enough to allow for extended pass-through of already pre-filtered water.

The H-sponges I bought have different mechanics from the wall of blue foam that came with the filter. That's four large 20 PPI blocks and one relatively thin 30 PPI block. The H-sponges are very different in terms of the aspect that they collectively present to on coming water. I'll post the picks I have when I can to give you guys a perspective.

Tiny review of the Oase 600: I don't have the thermo version, which is fine for now. The unit is German design, I'm told, and made in Italy. In general it's a good design. The two flaws I've noticed so far are thin plastic used to build the media trays. Considering that they're designed to fit together, the thin plastic is a mild nuisance. The second issue is silly but not hard to correct. The tubing shipped with the unit is 100% kink-prone. hopefully I'll get water-cooling grade tube today.

Since the unit AND the media are new I don't expect anything. I'm monitoring closely for the sake of my wet pets.

So far so good, but still waiting for proper tubing, since I ordered the wrong size. :facepalm: The issue tubing will have to do for now. The 600 is running fine though. It's even starting to remove dust from the water that my ailing fX didn't.

I forget to state my specs:

3-silver dollars 1 being a large redhook
3-blood red parrots, 1 being about 9in., the others are about 1 1/2in.
1-pleco 2 in.

125g long with a 406 secondary filter.

I used Fluval Cycle at installation and it seems to be working well. Water tests are in the green. Unit included a LONG spray bar which is entertaining and functional.

11-days on. My decision still seems to be a good one with only a bit of weirdness. Like replacing the body of the filter costs just $4? Beyond that, the idea of an easy-to-change and isolated pre-filter works beautifully so far. Having cleaned it at the 1-week mark, as suggested, I was pleased at the ease of it. One of the reviewers insinuated that cleaning the main body of the unit could go for as long as 2-years. We won't go near that long but I have an open mind. :brows: I chose our media with the idea of it being both functional and less restrictive which SEEMS to be peaches.

Even with a secondary, well-seasoned back up filter, I was expecting a minor change in water parameters. So far there hasn't been.

I wish you all success in your endeavors. Stay safe and well. :fish1:

ATP I've had this unit long enough to offer a final opinion. My initial misgiving's stand. The tray material is indeed too thin. Thicker plastic would have been a much better choice. It's possible to stack the trays in a more secure manner, it just takes a bit more time to do so compared to the FX6. The rubber feet on the unit should have been manufactured into the unit (you'll need to install them manually) and composed of a more rigid rubber. As it is if you try to slide the unit about the feet will pop out. Not too awful, but annoying none the less.

I had come to believe that the unit had a built-in flaw as it continued to suck in air and slowly purge itself. I learned that the problem was of my own creation. Unlike the FX6 it's easy to not lock the pressure hinges properly, creating an avenue for air to enter the unit. This was fixed by proofing the filter assembly before it's powered. (meaning I was lazy) The separate pre-filter turned out better than I hoped. The hard media and sponge mats are isolated from unprepped tank water by the pre-filter. Having this stuff clean is a unique experience for me and makes these mats a playground for good bacteria.

There you have it, my considered opinion on what I think is a better than average cannister filter that I'm glad I bought. So much so that I intend on buying the mac-daddy version, the 850, early next year.

Yawl have a prosperous and safe New Year! (y)

Back
Top Bottom