new light setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there. i recently acquired a new PC ballast and am anxious to use it. But i am hesitant to try it yet. The ballast i rated for 2x65w PC"bulbs". I am nervous that the total 130w output might be a bit much for my setup whereas it is only a 20Gal tank. I am not sure where i can find a chart to figure the WPG, if i could figure the numbers, i might feel alittle better. I would appreciate any help or advice you are willing to give. thank you in advance.

my setup-
-20 gal tank
-3.5 in. sandbed
-15lbs. LR.
Seaclone100 Protein skimmer

1-paradise damsel
1-green chromis
2-black yellow tail damsels
1-cleaner shrimp
1-turbo snail
1-small starfish (from LR, not able to discern type)
Handful of hermit crabs

I have a 130 watt Coralife Aqualight over my 20 gallon nano reef. IMO it is moderate light good for most hardy corals. WPG is watts per gallon so it would be 130 divided by 20 meaning you have 6.5 wpg.

If you currently have any corals make sure you acclimate them to the light.

Did you just your tank up? Seems like a lot of fish if you did just start it and the damsels will fight especially in such a small space.

i have had it running for about 16 months now, and i havent seen the damsels fight, but maybe i just dont see them. Right now my tank is FOWLR, but i would sure like to create a nano reef, thats one of the biggest reasons i got this new light setup. will the new found light harm/stress my fish as now they are used to 15w and jumping to 130w cant go unnoticed?

You might see them hide a little in the beginning but I don't believe it will affect them too much. It will be a little stressful but there shouldn't be any problems. That fixture is great for most hardy corals- lps, softies, mushrooms, polyps, etc. I like mine a lot.

Edit: Also since you want to get some corals, you should get one 65watt 10,000k and one 65 watt actinic or you can do what I did and get one 65 watt 50/50 and one 65 watt actinic. The choice is yours, you could even go one 6500k and one actinic but I dont know how that would look. I use to have one 10000k and one actinic and it looks good but when I did one 50/50 and one actinic IMO the corals' color comes out more and it looks better.

Can you get a pic of that paradise damsel? I couldn't find anything about it and have never heard of one.

well i would sure love to give them the much needed light they need. i am glad that it would not affect them. The ballast came with the two bulbs, (1)10,000k &(1) actinic light.
would it be best to use the 50/50 and the actinic or the current bulb set. they have only been used for a months time so i dont want to get rid of them. But thank you for your advice and help.

And Roka, the paradise damsel is one i had never heard of, it might be known by another name. I have a picture but i am not sure how to attach it. but the fish is orange, white and light purple, its super pretty.

Yes it would be perfectly fine to use the bulbs you already have, I was just giving some options on what you can do. 10,000k and actinic would be good, it's mostly a personal preference on the combination (what looks better to you). When you replace the bulbs in 5 months you could try out the 50/50 and actinic if you like, I am pleased with mine.

I think the system you are talking about will be fine for your tank. I also use the 50/50 and super actinic bulbs.

So i started using my new lights today, and realized how hot they run. I am in need of a cooling fan. I have heard of people using cooling fans from computers, but i dont know how they have been wired. Does anyone use this idea? or are there better ideas? I would appreciate any help as always. thank you in advance.

The computer fans work fine. Unfortunately, they do need DC current, so you need to get an AC to DC inverter from Radio Shack or such store. I like the variable voltage versions (generally 3v-12v), because you can adjust the sound of the fan with the voltage. Basically, just splice the wires together. That's it!

Back
Top Bottom