new to me tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I should be picking up a tank after breakfast this morning. It had a gold fish in it that died.

Should I just use a splash of bleach and some water, swish it around, rinse the tank (in the bath tub) and drain it before cycling it?

I don't want to use anything super harsh in it but want to kill any germs that might be left in the tank before cycling.

I am going to pick up some ammonia to help the cycling along, could I just use straight ammonia as I would the bleach?

Thanks,
Joe

If you use bleach make sure you use extra dechlorinator than usual rinse well then rinse again with more dechlorinator. I use vinegar to clean my tanks, I have had to many clothes with unexplained color changes.

Straight ammonia without additives can usually be found at a hardware store. Grocery stores carry the bubbling or foaming ammonia.

yes. ammonia is a great cleaner and disinfectant. just be sure not to use it with any cleaner that has chlorine in it. also make sure to get ammonia that doesnt have surfactants in it. as joy13 says it's usually available at your local hardware store.

oh yeah chlorine and ammonia are fun when mixed together, just ask any vet from WWI :). Why is that the formula for mustard gas about the only thing I remember from high school chemistry?

Gonna clean the bugger with a new scrubby sponge and the gallon of vinegar I got... my coffee pot could also use a run with it :).

make sure it's an aquarium safe sponge and not a regular cleaning sponge.

one of the ones for washing dishes.... but I do want to give them a few fills and empties to rinse them out. Didn't fuzz up when I wet it, cheap dollar store kind which usually contain less addatives.

I always suggest a cap or two of bleach in a bucket of water and wash good and then rinse good and then air dry completely. You can use dechlorinator if it makes you feel safer.

The tanks look relatively clean. Has some of the "white crust" from the water evaporation. I was thinking the vinegar might help dissolve it.

More of a cosmetic clean up to get them looking new.

Light sterilization only cause not sure if there was any diseases in the tank.... but hopefully after the ammonia from cycling it will kill any germs.

Back
Top Bottom