old 25 gallon hex tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently got a wicked deal on a used 25 gal hexagonal tank. it's much more tall than it is wide. it came with a hood and lamp, but the lamp makes a loud buzzing noise and we are looking to replace it but just can't find one. it holds a 15" bulb. I was also wondering what the best decision would be for bulbs for a planted FW tank. In the distant future I would like this to be an angel tank with live plants. any light fixture/bulb ideas? any other equipment suggestions for this size tank (filter, heater, co2, air pump)?

25g might be a little tight for an angel tank.

It sounds like you've got a fluorescent light fixture. Have you tried replacing the bulb and starter? For plants, you'd want bulbs in the 6700K spectrum. I doubt you'd be able to get enough light intensity from a standard 15" fluorescent bulb for any but the lowest-light plants. I like the AquaClear line of HOB filters. An AC50 would be a good choice. Visitherm Stealth is the heater of choice around here.

I thought it might be small for angels...but it's tall so I figured two might be ok. I have not replaced the bulb yet. I didn't know there was a starter, I'm kind of mechanically challenged. what/where is it? is it easy to replace? my husband may know more or would at least be able replace it if he knew how. I wasn't planning on going with any high light plants anyway, we are just starting out. either way we will replace the bulb.

The starter is a little cylinder that usually sticks out the bottom of the light fixture. Generally they remove with a quarter turn. You can pick them up for a buck or two at the hardware store. They're a little more expensive at the LFS.

You'd probably be ok with one angel in that tank. Angels are pretty, but, unfortunately, they get big. Maybe you'd consider rams. You could put a pair in your tank with no problem. Rams are cichlids like angels, but they stay small. They have a lot of personality.

If you keep the light fixture you have, you could probably grow anacharis, java moss, and java ferns. They'd grow slow, but I think they'd survive.

Back
Top Bottom