One corner of unfilled tank not Flush on stand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wheresknott

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just noticed that one corner (front-Left) of my 40 Gallon breeder tank is not flush when resting on the tank stand. All the other corners of the tank are flush but this one is not. If I press down on that corner side from the top of the tank with a little pressure it goes flat. There isn't anything in the tank right now but want to make sure that either I do something before filling it or if when I do fill it the weight will press that side down flush and I will be ok given the small gap. Thoughts? I attached a picture.

Hey bud, welcome to the forum.

I don't see an attachment, but maybe I'm just being silly. In my experience, tanks (especially those bought from brands commonly held in pet stores) don't always sit completely flush. My 40B and 55 had slight problems with that before. Some people use styrofoam, but the effectiveness and what it actually does is a little debated. When I set my tanks up on the stands that I built, they weren't completely flush and upon filling, both the tank and stand flex a little bit and generally accommodate room.

That being said, if the gap is larger you might want to resurface the stand using some plywood.

Hope this helps, it's been a while since I set up a tank that wasn't completely flushed so I might be a little rusty.

Sorry, Thought I attached them. I think I managed to do it this time.

2 pictures are of different views of the one corner and 1 picture is an example of the other corners.

Attachments

• LeftFrontFromFront.jpg
    LeftFrontFromFront.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 50
  • LeftFrontFromSide.jpg
    LeftFrontFromSide.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Flush.jpg
    Flush.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 53
I like to use rigid foam board insulation. A lot firmer than styrofoam, but soft enough to absorb gaps. Paint the edge black and you won't know it's there. Plywood would work too, but a little more work. You might not need to do anything, but for peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom