Opinions on upgrading bio-media needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Limpet

Aquarium Advice Addict
Currently I have the standard AC Biomax ceramic rings in my filters and was considering "upgrading" them to Eheim Substrat Pro biomedia balls to increase biological capacity for bacteria to live in my filters.

Any experience, comments, or alternate suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

I would upgrade to sachem matrix, it has more bioavailable surface area than fluval or eheim's biomedias. It may or may not also allow for denitrification.

Actually Biomax has a much higher level than Matrix.

Eheim EHFISUBSTRAT with over 450 m2 per liter = 4842 sq. ft. of surface area per liter.

Seachem Matrix™ provides over 160,000 cm2 per liter = 170 sq. ft. of surface area per liter.

Hagan Biomax each ceramic ring contains at least 100 square feet of surface area x approx 66 rings per liter = 6600 sq. ft. of surface area per liter. Link c. Each 17.63 oz box contains approximately 100 ceramic cylinders.

Off each website.

I said bioavailable. Matrix does not have the highest actual surface area but the pores and channels in the others are so small that any biofilm (the bacteria you want) will actually block off a massive amount of that surface area, cutting the bioavailable surface area to below that of matrix. This means although they do have more surface area they cannot support as much nitrifying bacteria, which is your actual goal.

Seachem claims that matrix allows for denitrifying bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen gas, live in live rock. Some people do not see this their aquariums, others do.

Back
Top Bottom