Overflow box plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacksteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey I don't really know anything about plumbing but I got a really good deal on some sumps and an overflow box. I'm just wondering If anyone can help me one the plumbing? Like should I use clear tubes or PVC pipe?

Ok thanks for the advice. Would i probably need a ball valve on the drain pipe or return and I have a 20 gallon tank and I need to pump the water 2 feet up, do you have any idea what pump would be good for this?

You need to match the pump gph@2 foot to your overflow pipe,what size pipe comes off your overflow?
Use as much hose as possible to help de-restrict it.
No valve on your drain pipe unless you are splitting it to 2 sections of your sump
Ball valve on your return is good as you can then have a more powerfull pump you can then throttle down to match your overflow.

I have almost the exact Same thing you are going to do. I just built it and will show you pictures of it soon.

Heres pictures of the overflow box.

Attachments

• CIMG0355.jpg
    CIMG0355.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 84
  • CIMG0356.jpg
    CIMG0356.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 93
Mine has a larger inside box and my outside box is opaque. I will start to post the plumbing but I think you would be okay with the mag 350

Okay thanks and could you give me any suggestions on how to plumb the pump because I'm new at having a sump. I'll probably learn once I see your setup

Here is the sump itself. It goes In the top right corner and out on the far left rectangle. Tip for the plumbing: You will want a ball valve on each line.

That looks nice and ya I was thinking a ball valve on both and do recommend PVC or clear tubing?

Thanks! Since your doing a ball valve I would do PVC. It will hold the weight much better. Also how are you going to cut it? Hacksaw?

Well my stepfather is very handy so I'm sure one of the eight saws he has in the garage will cut it haha. But what did you use?

That looks nice and ya I was thinking a ball valve on both and do recommend PVC or clear tubing?
use ehiem tubing,its green which helps prevent algae growth.Your overflow looks like an eshopps800.Dont put any valves on your drain unless you are splitting it to 2 sections,any valve on a standard drain can cause overflows if the valve gets blocked!!!

And when you said a mag 350 is that due to the quality if mag pumps or mainly that 350gph would be good for my setup?

Back
Top Bottom