Penguin Bio Wheel 200 problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently got a penguin bio wheel 200 hob filter from a friend who's tank got smashed (yeah..yikes) so he decided to give me his filters and other supplies after throwing his tank in the garbage.

Unfortunately today when I tested out the penguin bio wheel 200 it didn't seem to be working. It didn't take in any water and the impeller thing was rattling. I had water in the filter so that wasn't the problem. I tried plugging it in without the intake tube part attached so I could watch the impeller and it was turning but still making that sound. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. This is a nice filter and I'd hate to just throw it away.

Thanks!

Since it's used from someone else's tank, I'd give it a good bleach/water soak (5:1 water to bleach) and scrub it clean... just for good measure. I have a feeling after that, it'll run fine.

The other trick you might try is when it's plugged in and supposed to be pumping, lift the intake tube part way up and then reseat it back down in the housing. Sometimes that's enough to jump start it.

I'm with Kurt. Usually if its making like a rattling noise and not moving water it means you have an air bubble around the impeller. Sometimes pulling the intake tube up a little and pushing it back down works. Also fill it with water until it flows over back into the tank then plug it in.

Back
Top Bottom