Perfecta Hood ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Sort of embarrassed to ask this. I can't get the starter out of the Perfecta hood. I need to change it. I have tried pushing and turning, pulling and turning, and just turning, but it won't budge. I tried both hoods and can't get either out. Anyone have a perfecto flourescent hood and know how to get the starter out?

I think you need to remove the white plastic liner. The ballast and starter are screwed into the outer shell. Basically dismantle the whole thing. Since you are going to have it apart, why keep the el crapo NO tube? AHsupply has a retro kit that fits into these fixtures very nicely. Here is a link to a kit that puts 2 13W PCs into a 10 gal hood. http://www.ahsupply.com/twox.htm This makes it more than twice as bright as a 15W flourescent tube.

Mark

LOL... I already purchased the 2x55 watt kit and built an enclosure last weekend. I was going to try to fix the perfecta while I was waiting for the kit to arrive and the enclosure being built, but it arrived so quickly that all is done. The lights are great!

It's really weird that perfecta would make you take the unit apart to remove the starter. C'es la vie.

Tom

Mine just twisted out. Took some effort due to some corrosion on the pins, but it came out...used pliers. They twist about 1/4 turn and them pull out...if yours is like the one I have (ancient).
Logan J

My hood is about 8 years old, maybe nine. I'm going to use parts from both of the hoods to make one good hood that will fit the 10g hospital/quarantine tank. Of course it will overhang the edges of the tank, but at least the tank will have a hood and some light.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom