Powerhead Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AFishName

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 45 gal tank that is almost more of a square than a rectangle. It is (i think) 3' wide x 2' tall x 15" deep. How many and where should i place my power heads? I figure my return line from the sump sort of acts as one. Its in the upper left hand corner. My rock is piled up in the back left hand corner as well. Do i need a PH directly on the rock to increase flow through them?

Thanks!

the number and placement of PHs is up to you. assuming you have a fish only tank, you should aim for ~10 X tank volume for water flow. (so 450 gph)

there are a few PHs you can get to handle that. Maxijet PHs are what i use in my tank.

to place them in the tank, use the flat nozzle that comes with the PHs and angle the flow so it ripples the surface. also, try to aim the flows so that they hit each other and create a random turbulence in the water.

you will have to adjust them a few times to prevent the flow from digging up your substrate, so dont get frustrated if you have a sand storm the first day. also, try to get flow in all areas of your tank, you dont want the have areas where the water doesnt circulate.

~mike

I have two Marineland Penguin 1140 Powerheads and their working wonders in my 55 gallon display tank. I usually adjust the flow of their heads to simulate changing current in the invironment on a weekly basis.

Back
Top Bottom