Powerhead placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I have no powerheads in my freshwater aquarium, but I understand the importance of having them in a saltwater aquarium.

I have a 46-gallon, and I intend to put about 65 pounds of live rock in it. I purchased 2 Maxi-Jet 900s (a total of 460 gph). You can see in the picture how I have them tentatively placed. The problem I have is that I have no experience and no idea how to create good water flow. I'm not sure if you want the 2 water streams to crash into each other in the middle, or if you want 2 layers of water moving? Right now I tentatively have them placed to move the top 1/4 and just above the 1/2 line.

What have you found works well? Obviously how I build my aquascape will make a difference, but what are your thoughts?

For me I just play & position them once all my LR is in place to make sure there are no "dead" spots to create a puddle of junk build up... know what I mean? I try to keep a low GPH PH blowing behind the rock on the back glass to keep a good water flow... but not too much... just enough to keep food and garbage from getting trapped back there... not sure if it's needed.... just always have.

I have been thinking about getting a couple of the power heads that move, wave makers I think?... not sure though... more reading 1st :)

I'd want one of them to break the suface of the water to oxygenate it, so I'd point it up a little. The other could go nearly anywhere...I don't think you can really tell until you get your rock in there, aquascaped, and see how things go. You will soon see if there are trouble spots and you can move your ph accordingly.

After your tank is up and going, you will be able to see where the currents are. But, for the most part, your general positioning looks good. If it was me, I would have two at the top to break up the water (assuming you are not using a sump with a return), and then you can put a third powerhead lower in the tank. All of those don't have to be the 900s. You could use another smaller one to help break the surface. Oxygenation and maintenance of pH are really important, and that surface movement needs to be active enough to help maintain the O2 and pH. IME.

my experience has finall taught me to have at least on ph behind the live rock to make sure there isn't any "dead spots" this will utilize you filter better also.

take it from me, i didn't have any power heads behind the rock and i had trouble with cyano and aamonia problems.

hth

mark

I like the Hydor Flow ph output unit that circulates the flow better. They're pretty cheap at $10/each.

Crazy idea? What if I had one power head blowing behind the rock, from right to left, that water would end up by the filter...then another power head on the left side blowing the water around the bow front from left to right? Attempt to make a circular flow to move the water literally "around" the tank...thoughts?

Paul

Back
Top Bottom