Proble with sump/overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1Indy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well Ive been fighting problems with my sump.. The problem i have is my pump is feeding water back to tank quicker that I can supply it. I know about the gate valve/T back to sump to cut back on the pumps GPH but i really think their may be another problem.. This is what I have..

Sump tank:
3' long 11" wide and 10 3/4 deep
3 baffels...... from the right hand side of the sump to the first baff is
21 3/4 next is 22 3/4 with a 1" gap on the bottom next 23 3/4.. Baff 1 and 3 are 1 3/4 from the top of the sump. I've had 2 1" ID feed lines to my over flow box and the pump still pumps faster.. The pump is a Supreme Classic 700 gph. From pump to tank I have increased from 1/2 mpt to 3/4 sch 40 2 45s and 3 90s so I would expect some head pressure loss say 650 gph?? My over flow box is 12" long 3" wide and 10" deep with 1 baff 4 1/2 from my stand pipe the baff is 5" tall .. I could run 2 1" ID feed lines but I think thats over kill I do have a ball valve in place to reduce flow to sump but I don't want to have to worrie about 2 1" lines failing I'm lost what do I do? Lower the last baff so water makes it to the pump faster? Man I'm lost hope you guys can understand all this:mad:

Is your overflow a DIY or did you buy it? If you bought it, what brand and what is it rated for? If you made it, how about a pic.

It is a DIY but very much like the reef life setup the one rated for 1200 gph. The inner box is not as big. I'll get some pics up soon

well i have a few pics in my gallery, just not sure how to get them here.. would you mind viewing them in my gallery? Thanks

I don't see any U tubes in your photos. How are you moving the water from the DT to the overflow box? That will determine the max flow to the sump.

I'm assuming that first photo is with the pump running the return chamber almost dry.

i didn't take a pick of them, I will now and load them to my gallery. I have about 3 or 4 of them, been trying to figure out what works.. Give me a few and ill get some pics up.

K I have a pic in my gallery now.. The top one is a flex tube 1" ID. The pvc ones are 1" ID and 3/4 ID. I can have all 3 of these running at the same time and my pump (700 +/- gph) still pumps faster. The outer box has a 1" feed to the sump.

It's 4 3/4"L x 3 1/4"W x 6"H . I have another one I just made, it's slightly larger. 7"L x 3"W x 7"H. The smaller one never starved for water when I had the u tubes hooked up. As a matter of fact when I was testing I had all three u tubes going at the same time with no inner box, just pulling water straight from the display tank to my outer box..

Back
Top Bottom