Pump Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am in the process of setting up a 150 gallon reef tank. I have a Kent Marine Skimmer with a rio 2100 pump. What size pump should I use for the return? I will be pumping it approx. 6 feet back to the tank using a tee back to both overflows. I am guessing something like a 900 GPH. Also, what size should I use in the tank for circulation?

What gph are your overflow(s) rated at? A 150 with 2 overflows could handle 1200 gph or more. It really depends on your overflow. Get a pump that will pump the most at the head height you have.

I believe it is 1200 GPH. it is a 150 gallon AGA w/ 2 overflows. So does that mean I need to run let's say 2 mag drive 9.5's, because at 6 feet they only flow 720 gph. But will that be too much(1440 GPH). How do you match up what is coming out of the tank to what is going in the tank. I just don't want to get the wrong size pump and and overflow the sump or aquarium. Thanks .

Get a Mag12 and T off to supply both returns. I would not run 2 pumps if it was me. A mag 18 might work as well. I am not sure of the pressure at that head height though. You can put a ball valve on it to throttle it back if need be but I would not if you can avoid it.

Thanks for the info. How powerful of a pump do I need for circulation in the tank. Should I run one pump and run a few lines off of that for cross circulation?

i think a mag12 will do but if your gonna use like a cross circulation u might want to go with a mag18. im not too familiar with the built in overflows though

You could get a bigger pump and use a spray bar or something to create current. Or you could just add a few powerheads.

I have a 150 with 2 overflows and run 2 Quite one 4000HH pumps. I like running 2 pumps the lines are split by a ball valve incase one of the pumps dies. The flow rating is something like 1400gph I think

I'm with your Jim, I am running a mag 9.5 and a mag 18 on my 75g :p

The mag 18 has a T section with a return back to the sump to adjust return rate...

Back
Top Bottom