refugium what are they??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KMyers18

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im not that new to the hobby but im new to reefs and i here a lot about these things on reef forums so they must be related some how right??? I would just like to know the purpose of them and the pros and cons....

A refugium is a partitioned tank that it connected to the main tank. It provides a safe haven for small critters to reproduce and provide additional food for fish and invertibrates. Many folks use them to grow macroalgae's to absorb nutrients and incorporate DSB's for NNR. Many benefits with no downside except the potential cost to set one up. Well worth the cost if you have the space.

A colleague of mine has something like this set up where we work. It consists of two 55-gal tanks, one situated over the other. They are supported by a wooden rack. The upper tank has a 3/4" PVC standpipe that is set to the level of the water where he wants it. This pipe flows into the lower tank. The lower tank is partitioned by two pieces of lexan. The left side of the tank holds a single damselfish. The middle partition is a mechanical/biofilter using small spherical plastic combs. The right partition is set up with a small pump and a spool of biofloss. This pump drives the water and other biomass back to the top tank.

KMyers18 said:
Im setting up a 20 gall. reef. Would i even need a refugium for a tank so small??

A refugium will benefit any size tank. For a small tank it has the added benefit of increasing your total water volume which will help you keep your tank more stable.

I would like to add a refugium to my tank, however, hang on the back overflow boxes make me nervous. am I right to be nervous about them??? Should I maybe consider a water pump instead???

I'm using the CPR Aquafuge and its very safe as long as the outflow does not get clogged. Fortunately the outflow is far enough away from the tank walls that a snail couldn't get into it.

How would i go about building a refuge on a tank that isnt drilled or where can i find some diy info and pics of one on a 20 gal. reef

Back
Top Bottom