regent/eclipse hood help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james_h48

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Not sure if this the right thread but I thought I would start here. Sorry that this is my first post but I do not have much help to add as I am just getting back into the game. Anyway I have a regent/eclipse all inclusive hood and the light has just stopped working. It is an older hood but the new bulb I put in worked for about the last month when I set up my tanks again. I have searched everywhere looking for replacement parts. Does anyone know where to get a replacement for the light section only? or even if that can be done?
Thanks a bunch and I love this site. It has gotten me so excited about a hobby a gave up and am now ready to learn more and do it bigger and better.

james_h48 said:
Not sure if this the right thread but I thought I would start here. Sorry that this is my first post but I do not have much help to add as I am just getting back into the game. Anyway I have a regent/eclipse all inclusive hood and the light has just stopped working. It is an older hood but the new bulb I put in worked for about the last month when I set up my tanks again. I have searched everywhere looking for replacement parts. Does anyone know where to get a replacement for the light section only? or even if that can be done?
Thanks a bunch and I love this site. It has gotten me so excited about a hobby a gave up and am now ready to learn more and do it bigger and better.

If the new bulb only lasted a month, chances are you got the wrong wattage rating for the light fixture. It should say what watts the fixture is rated at somewhere on the hood and you just need to match it with another new bulb.

The bulb still works, I put it in another fixture. I can hear the hood trying to turn on the bulb but it simply won't go.
Thanks

james_h48 said:
The bulb still works, I put it in another fixture. I can hear the hood trying to turn on the bulb but it simply won't go.
Thanks

Gotcha. Trying to start, but can't (flickers) is usually an indicator that the bulbs wattage is rated higher than the ballast can handle. If there's no wattage label on the light fixture (or starter) you can remove the reflector and the ballast should say what bulb it can run.

60 Hz 35 amp

I can not find a watt maximum anywhere, the bulb I am using and have always used for years is a 15 watt. Maybe a little more story will help. I used these hoods for at least 3 years using the same wattage of bulbs as I am using now, I know this because the old bulbs were still in there. I got out of saltwater tanks for a couple years and just recently set my tanks back up. The hood that I am referring too worked for about a month and then all of a sudden quit. Maybe this will help in determining if there is a problem other than the bulb.
Thanks

james_h48 said:
60 Hz 35 amp

I can not find a watt maximum anywhere, the bulb I am using and have always used for years is a 15 watt. Maybe a little more story will help. I used these hoods for at least 3 years using the same wattage of bulbs as I am using now, I know this because the old bulbs were still in there. I got out of saltwater tanks for a couple years and just recently set my tanks back up. The hood that I am referring too worked for about a month and then all of a sudden quit. Maybe this will help in determining if there is a problem other than the bulb.
Thanks

Could be that the ballast died, or is close to it. Ballasts can be replaced and even upgraded to take a higher wattage bulb if it's a custom fixture for your tank/hood and it's any easy DIY if you're into that. If not a new fixture may be needed.

Thats what I was afraid of. The problem is with these hoods it is filter and light all in one. Also I can not find anyplace that sells them anymore or where/how to order any replacement parts.
Thanks for the help

james_h48 said:
Thats what I was afraid of. The problem is with these hoods it is filter and light all in one. Also I can not find anyplace that sells them anymore or where/how to order any replacement parts.
Thanks for the help

Bummer for sure. See if a local shop can put in a new ballast and up it to a higher wattage for a bulb that will fit the hood. The connectors and all are standard for most every fixture, it's just the ballast that you have to worry about.

For a custom setup like that, IMHO it'd be worth it and it would last for many more years since ballasts are now electronic and have a much longer life span.

Back
Top Bottom