Return pump for my 75 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to get a mag return pump tonight off of ebay. I have heard I need a mag 5 but just wanted to see some other opinions. I have a built in corner overflow. I want to make sure my overflow can keep up with the pump. Water will have to come up about 4 feet to display tank. Anyone?

Depends on how much water your overflow is rated for? If it's 1'', you could use a mag 7. At 4ft it should only push around 500gph or so.

would putting a shut off valve in the line after the pump allow be to control how much it pushes by slightly closing it or would it be bad on the pump?

so good idea just incase? or are we absolutely sure my overflow could handle a mag 7? My overflow measures 1 1/2" inside measurement.

i'm absolutely sure. i believe that overflow to be somewhere in the 1200 gph range if i'm not mistaken.

Yes I have a 7 on my 120 with 4 feet of plumbing. works just fine. i would add a shut off valve for sure (i am missing that). i bought a 9 for my return but it is still in its box, the plumbing was all set up already with the 7, so why alter a good thing ?!? :p

good luck and you will love it im sure.

Thinking I'm gonna do flexible tubing that way its quieter and i can move it around to break away salt creep inside the tube... sound like a good idea? Can you put a shut off in the flexible stuff?

flexible is good, but i don't think you'll see any salt creep on the inside of the tube. it will be wherever water is splashing, on nearby surfaces.
you don't need a shut off on the drain. you'll never use it. all you need to do is unplug the pump.

I have never heard of getting a longer life by cutting off flow from a larger pump. That's cool. I just upgraded a little, but it would be nice to get a big ol pump and dial it back.

I have gates on the output. Why wouldn't you? It helps keep the water in the main tank when doing water changes in the sump. Or stopping a mess if the sump cracks. I need mine to control flow to the skimmer.

yes, i always thought the opposite, but my friend is an HVAC and water treatment pro. he told me to google it. as so it was true. the only place where people tell you choking a pump will hurt it, is in this hobby...LOL.

all you have to do is turn off the pump and the water stops coming down. why do you control flow to the skimmer? why not leave it wide open?

The double use of the post-pump shutoff is that when you do unplug the pump for maintenance, you can shut off the vale and stop the backflow, then just let the tank drain down through the overflow.

However if your tank is set up like this you need to do a power outage test, unplug the pump and let it drain to make sure you don't flood the sump. Sorry for the hijack, just my 2 cents

Back
Top Bottom