Return pump opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bioteacher

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi folks, I am building a new sump and I am replacing my return pump. I currently have a March external pump that pushes 1020 gph, about 870gph at a 6 ft head which is about what I am dealing with in my setup. I am looking for something quieter and submersible. My tank is a 125gal and the new sump will probably hold about 30gal

At first, I was looking for something to match my previous pump, and was considering a danner mag-drive 12 which is about the same, maybe a little higher flow...

I got some feedback on another thread that suggested that he likes lower flow on his return pump (only about 3x tank volume) so that the flow through his sump/fuge is slower. He then ups the tank flow with powerheads.

That got me thinking, so I wanted to get more opinions from this awesome knowledgable group! Which side of the fence do you fall on? Also, any recommendations on a brand of pump that you like (or any you dislike)?

bioteacher said:
Hi folks, I am building a new sump and I am replacing my return pump. I currently have a March external pump that pushes 1020 gph, about 870gph at a 6 ft head which is about what I am dealing with in my setup. I am looking for something quieter and submersible. My tank is a 125gal and the new sump will probably hold about 30gal

At first, I was looking for something to match my previous pump, and was considering a danner mag-drive 12 which is about the same, maybe a little higher flow...

I got some feedback on another thread that suggested that he likes lower flow on his return pump (only about 3x tank volume) so that the flow through his sump/fuge is slower. He then ups the tank flow with powerheads.

That got me thinking, so I wanted to get more opinions from this awesome knowledgable group! Which side of the fence do you fall on? Also, any recommendations on a brand of pump that you like (or any you dislike)?

I use the mag 12 on my 135 gal tank with 45 gl sump and she works beautifully and is very,very quiet ,.. I'd just use it in conjunction with a ball valve so you can tweak it's flow as you pease....I now own multiple danner pumps which I'm using for reactors etc,... Just my two cents worth, hope it helps.

Thanks, it seems that all the reviews on the mag drive line that I have read has been very positive

I suggest you contact the manufacturer to understand the required size of the return line. I have the mag 18, and all of its rated gph at certain headloss is with 1.25" or 1.50" return line. I believe this also applies to the mag 12.

My return line is only 0.75", so my gph ended up being much lower.

Terrance said:
I suggest you contact the manufacturer to understand the required size of the return line. I have the mag 18, and all of its rated gph at certain headloss is with 1.25" or 1.50" return line. I believe this also applies to the mag 12.

My return line is only 0.75", so my gph ended up being much lower.

Ok, so the manual on the website says 1.5" for max flow. Mine are a lil over an inch on the outside. Not sure if that means my lines are 1" or 0.75" cause it is an inside measurement I think.

Ok so that brings me back to my original question. I could go with the mag 12 which after 5 feet of head and reduction due to skinny lines would put me at a flow rate of about 25% lower than my current pump, or I could go up to the mag 18 which would probably up my flow a little bit from what I have now. I am happy with my flow rate now, probably about 25 times tank volume with power heads, but I am not using a refugium currently. I wonder if I should go with the lower flow and maybe add another power head to the main tank. Or maybe I can go with the mag 18 and add a SCWD to get some wave action in the tank. I could always using a ball valve to slow it down if it is too much. Just sort of thinking out loud here......

The 18 is only $20 more than the 12, too. Not that big of a difference in price. The jump from the 9.5 to the 12 is $50 at marine depot.

bioteacher said:
The 18 is only $20 more than the 12, too. Not that big of a difference in price. The jump from the 9.5 to the 12 is $50 at marine depot.

When in doubt buy bigger and throttle down as necessary via ball valve

Any suggestions on fuge lights? Probably just growing Chaeto

Back
Top Bottom