Setting up a Protein Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
I never have set one up, and I have one that goes to my tank. It sits in the sump, however I don't know if it works. When you plug it in it comes on, but it has some tubing that isn't hooked to anything. I don't know what is suppose to connect to the pvc elbow, and you will see where I am pointing in the picture, I guess that is where the tubing connects, but the previous owner had it plugged with saran wrap and rubber bands. So if I set it into the sump what do I connect to what?

Attachments

• DSCN1242.jpg
    DSCN1242.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN1243.jpg
    DSCN1243.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 206
It's made by sealife systems, but there is no model number or anything else on it. I think it sits in the sump, but I'm not 100% on that.

What your pointing to is a drain for the collection cup. You can hook a hose to it and run it to a bottle if you want or you can cap it and just empty the collection cup. The white elbow Looks like the "return" line and If you put skimmer in your sump you wouldnt need to hook anything to it. The small black hose that is hooked to the white tee appears to be the air intake to make your bubbles. Hope that helps

Hang on Protein Skimmer, Impact Skimmer - Sealife Systems

Got it, it is a sealife systems Seastorm 250 skimmer. It is advertised as saying just stick it in the sump, plug it in and set the output. How do you set the output and how does this system work.

It draws in water and waste goes to the cup at the top? Where does water return to the sump, through the pvc piping? Or is that the inlet? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I have never used a protein skimmer. I have been doing saltwater for a year and a half now, but it's been with canister filters and sumps.

The pump is connected to the clear chamber, that's the tall clear cylinder. The water sucked it is then mixed with air to make some kind of vortex swirl inside that chamber. The other pipe gets the water from the bottom of the chamber and returns it to the sump.

That small barb connection at the bottom of the collection cup is for convenience, that way do don't have to remove the collection cup. As stated by fellow member earlier, just hook up a small hose to that barb and place the other end in an old water bottle so that all you have to do is empty that bottle and not have to mess with the cup.

Once it's setup, you'll need to tune the skimmer. There should be some kind of knob before the return pipe to allow you to control the flow of the return water rate. Top fast and the skimmed water won't get a chance to skim, too slow and the bubbles won't collect in the cup.

Regards

Wael

sounds good to me. i wonder how you adjust that skimmer. does that neck slide up and down inside the skimmer?

That black hose isn't connected to anything, I just noticed in the picture it looks as though it is hooked the the pvc, it is just attached to that small blue thing, looks like it has a switch on it. It must control something.

I am just going to play with it tonight. As long as I get the principal of it then I can sort it out. Let me make sure I am clear.

Water collects in the clear tube (there is a water level marked on it), I will need to adjust the pump so that it maintains that level. Then air is mixed, waste floats to top and is skimmed off in that cup. I can either add a drain line or clean the cup periodically. If the water pumps too fast, no waste is gathered. If its too slow nothing will be gathered. So I adjust it until something is collecting in the cup and that's it? I just have to figure out how to adjust it and clean water will exit the pvc piping back to the sump?

i understand how a skimmer works, just not sure how that one adjusts.
that black hose is where the air goes in. the pump pulls air through it, and i guess you regulate how much with the little blue fitting. i don't understand why anyone would want less air going in the skimmer.
so you can turn the pump up or down?

yes, that's the theory. cleaned water goes back to the sump. i still don't understand how someone would adjust it.
what i would do is call the manufacturer-

"Questions and Orders : Call 800-799-8301 or 904-225-9889"

OK, so it is hooked up and running. The blue valve let's in either more or less air. The elbow raises and lowers to control the water level. So I have the water level where the manufacture says it should be, so do I turn the air up until the bubbles rise into the collection cup? Also, my water has gotten cloudy since I turned it on, any reason you can think of?

Attachments

• DSCN1249.jpg
    DSCN1249.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN1251.jpg
    DSCN1251.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN1253.jpg
    DSCN1253.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 113
The water is starting to clear up slightly, Im not sure why it got cloudy when I started up the skimmer. Will that stop or more importantly is it normal?

no..adjust the bubbles so that they are just above the bottom of the cup. give it a couple inches to work the gunk up on it's own. monitor the skimmer for a few weeks to see how sensitive it is to changes in the aquarium. some skimmers will start overflowing at a small change, like a messy feeding.
looks like it's making some decent foam.

Back
Top Bottom