skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEANS

Aquarium Advice Activist
does this take the place (or is the same) as a protein skimmer? I know it say aerating power filter and protein skimmer but I am new so want to make sure I am getting the proper stuff for my new sw.

Skilter Filters

Skilter Filters

* Aerating power filter and protein skimmer all in one * Enables efficient chemical, mechanical, and biological filtration * For use on small to medium saltwater aquariums Maintenance-free Skilter Filter offers total, efficient filtration for saltwater aquariums. Combines chemical, mechanical, and biological filtration techniques with protein skimming. Makes an ideal primary filter for 10-55 gallon saltwater and mini-reef aquariums. The advanced venturi-type protein skimmer of the Skilter Filter can also be used as a supplementary filtration device for aquariums up to 100 gallons. Hangs on back of aquarium. Replaceable Bio-Matrix Cartridge comes with one white polypad and one black carbon pad. Unit includes a 90-day limited warranty.

The Skilter combines filtering techniques. This compact, efficient unit supplies both mechanical and biological filtration, plus the chemical filtration and aeration provided by the built-in protein skimmer. The Skilter is quiet, powerful, and less expensive than if you were to purchase each component separately.

does this take the place (or is the same) as a protein skimmer? I know it say aerating power filter and protein skimmer but I am new so want to make sure I am getting the proper stuff for my new sw.

Skilter Filters

Skilter Filters

* Aerating power filter and protein skimmer all in one * Enables efficient chemical, mechanical, and biological filtration * For use on small to medium saltwater aquariums Maintenance-free Skilter Filter offers total, efficient filtration for saltwater aquariums. Combines chemical, mechanical, and biological filtration techniques with protein skimming. Makes an ideal primary filter for 10-55 gallon saltwater and mini-reef aquariums. The advanced venturi-type protein skimmer of the Skilter Filter can also be used as a supplementary filtration device for aquariums up to 100 gallons. Hangs on back of aquarium. Replaceable Bio-Matrix Cartridge comes with one white polypad and one black carbon pad. Unit includes a 90-day limited warranty.

The Skilter combines filtering techniques. This compact, efficient unit supplies both mechanical and biological filtration, plus the chemical filtration and aeration provided by the built-in protein skimmer. The Skilter is quiet, powerful, and less expensive than if you were to purchase each component separately.

I think a lot is going to depend on your tank size. If you are closer to the maximum limit on that which is a 55-gallon tank, you sould probably not get that.
I really doubt this thing will be able to skim very efficiently. Live Rock will be much better for you biological filtration than whatever is in that thing and you probably don't even need chemical filtration right away. If you do you can easly add it separately as well. I made the mistake of being talked into an "all-in-one" type system when I first stared and it was fine for awhile. However, soon after I wanted to get the right equipment for my hobby. Look into getting a sump with a separate protein skimmer and look into Live Rock for your bio-filter. It may cost a little more but is much better and will save you money in the long run, instead of wanting to upgrade in less than a year, in my experience.

Moved to general hardware and equipment discussion.

I used to use a skilter and I would rate it as a low level skimmer. It`s actually a skimmer/filter. It has skimmer capability and filter pads also. It did an OK job I guess but nowhere near what my excalibur does.

Ok heres another equipment question then. At the moment I have my HoB filter and heater this is all. I am going to be picking up the other items I need this week or ordering them. My tank is a 30g long that I plan on making into a reef tank. nothing hard or with real high lighting but I would like some anemone, polyps, mushrooms and moderate light soft corals. I know I need a powerhead, skimmer, and lighting but is that all I really need? Also do skimmers usualy need another power head hooked up to them to run or do they have a pump built in.

Back
Top Bottom