Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I get a skimmer for my community tank (I posted in general previously), because I would like to keep my tank cleaner, do I need a sump, or can I just put the skimmer inside my tank (or hang outside, which ever model I should decide on).

I guess I'm not understanding how/what I need to do if I purchase a skimmer.

I'd appreciate any assistance. gp

SO, other people on this forum are lying to me that they use a protein skimmer in their fresh water tank. WOW!

A protein skimmer would be very tricky to get to work in FW.
The main problem lies in the water, SW bubbles easily, and thus the foam is able to be maintained to push it over the collection cup. FW bubbles do not last long, and thus maintaining the bubble wall to extract DOCs is very difficult.

Try it for yourself - grab a bit of airline, and a tub of water. Now blow bubbles into the water, and note how long they last, next add a few teaspoons of salt (can be table salt as you're not adding to a tank), and repeat the process....

That's kind of the fundamentals of protein skimming.

In FW there is a surface skimmer for the top surface this may be what the other people are referring to.

A protein skimmer would be very tricky to get to work in FW.
The main problem lies in the water, SW bubbles easily, and thus the foam is able to be maintained to push it over the collection cup. FW bubbles do not last long, and thus maintaining the bubble wall to extract DOCs is very difficult.

Try it for yourself - grab a bit of airline, and a tub of water. Now blow bubbles into the water, and note how long they last, next add a few teaspoons of salt (can be table salt as you're not adding to a tank), and repeat the process....

That's kind of the fundamentals of protein skimming.

In FW there is a surface skimmer for the top surface this may be what the other people are referring to.

I totally agree the above as I mentioned before you can use it tunze surface skimmer sticks to the inside of your tank by magnet and its main purpose is to skim any film that builds up on the top of the surface, But a protein skimmer is only designed for salt water and will not work properly in freshwater

You can in freshwater just make sure you get a FW model

Could you name a model because I've never come across one but if there is I don't believe they would work as effectively as a salt water version and would probably get more benefit from a external filter or a internal filter instead in my opinion

Never saw a skimmer for fw. You have a link to the shurim jetskim you mentioned? I'd like to see how it maintains a bubble Column in fw.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

from their product catalog;
"Being the hobby version of the professional AQUAFLOTOR
® skimmers, JETSKIM skimmers are nowadays
the number one choice for large tanks. The
special building structure allows for long contact
time and tranquilized flotation, thereby effectuating
a high concentration of skimmed off protein. A centrifugal
pump in combination with a reliable injector
that is matched to the particular device cares for
highly effective skimming."

didn't see anything specifically about freshwater application.
maybe their design would work batter in fw than others ?

google baby :cool:

Back
Top Bottom