Sock, Filter Pad or Something Else

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsomepopcorn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am looking for weekly or bi-weekly maintenance on my marine sump which will sit under my 120g drilled from the bottom tank. I would like some thoughts on whether I should put a sock, filter pad, fancy box or nothing on my incoming water just before it hits live rock rubble. I do not want to change out something every several days. At most, weekly. Ideally, every other week. In my dreams, once every 6 weeks.

If it's refugium you have then I don't think you'll need a filter sock or pad because the live rock will be acting as the filter. On the other hand a filter sock lasts months before you need to replace it. When it starts getting brown all you need to do is wash it and bleach it and make sure you hang dry it to make sure no traces of bleach are left before it gets used again.

My sources say filter socks need to be cleaned out every few days or at least once a week. Is it days or is it months?:slurp:

Back
Top Bottom