Stovepipe style overflow operation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KurtsReef

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 75 gal tank has stove pipe style overflow and return, the overflow on the right side and return on the left. Each hole in the bottom of the tank is about 5 inches in on each side, the "Stove pipes" rise up and the overflow has a cap with a straw in it which is supposed to help with noise.

I threw out the paper that came with it instructing how it operated, and have no idea what brand it is ...internet searches have left me still looking. I put a stronger pump on as I was never able to fully utilize the overflow capabilities of the old pump, but now I cannot get rid of the gurgling sound.

Anyone else have these or understand them enough to explain this too me?

Possibly some images will help, these are a bit different from any overflows I have seen.

This is the overflow as seen from the front of the tank:

KurtsReef-206575-1.jpg

This is a view from further back:

KurtsReef-206600-18.jpg

And this is the view from the top:

_D206609-26.jpg

It is odd, it will go for a long period of time making the sucking noise and then be silent for a long period of time. Last night it was making the gurgling for a few hours and quite frankly had me wanting to buy an aquarium with a better overflow as I have a feeling this would be considered bottom of the barrel quality wise.

Any insight into this overflow system is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom