Substrate for planted tank - Cory Catfish friendly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wetfarticus

Aquarium Advice Activist
New to planted tanks. What substrate do I need and how do I set it up?
Do I need different layers with a sandy top layer for Corys?
Any advise is appreciated.

I just did straight sand in mine.
IMG_1480484770.990648.jpg
IMG_1480484815.430328.jpg
My girls are getting fat and sassy. Need to find some male C sterbai
IMG_1480484976.740267.jpg

IMG_1480485061.668544.jpg
I love black sand, but I got the tan sand for free for my 55g.

Sand is good, but also a fine gravel will work, too. CaribSea makes substrates in the .5-2mm size that are good for corydoras and other bottom feeders with delicate barbels, such as kuhli loaches.

a little dirt under the sand always helps the plants. but sand is my favorite.

a little dirt under the sand always helps the plants. but sand is my favorite.

But in dirted tanks if you move plants you can make a mess. Plants love it, but gotta read up and decide if you want to do it. I worry about the mess so I avoid dirt.

You can't use just any dirt.
Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil I think is what most use ? Sift before you use it.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/darted-tank-start-to-finish.-332078.html

I lay down a pattern of Root Caps before adding sand.
This was my rimless 10g that I was smart enough to remember Root Caps then sand LOL
IMG_1480634241.019990.jpg

On a side note...
Corys are the one fish I will definitely have.
With that in mind, 2 questions:
What fish make good tank mates for Corys? Being they are a bottom fish, I'm thinking in terms of mid level and upper level of the tank. I know they not only have to get along but need to require similar water conditions and temps right?
Secondly, is a Plecos a good idea to have with Corys?

Sure, as long as the specific plecostomus species isn't know for being territorial or aggressive. They get along fine with bristlenoses, for example.

As for other tankmates, almost any tetra, rasbora, livebreeder, gourami, and most small cichlids. (I'd be wary of dwarf cichlids, if only because they share the same space --the bottom-- and they set up territories when breeding.)

On a side note...
Corys are the one fish I will definitely have.
With that in mind, 2 questions:
What fish make good tank mates for Corys? Being they are a bottom fish, I'm thinking in terms of mid level and upper level of the tank. I know they not only have to get along but need to require similar water conditions and temps right?

Decide what species of Cory you are planning to get. Start with a hardy, common species. There are a ton of rare WC Cories, but not good ones to learn on.

C aeneus ( look better at home, look blah at store)
C trilineatus ( often mislabeled C julii)
C paleatus

C Panda is sensitive. Easy to kill.

Each species requires its own parameters. The common species are pretty tolerant, but research on Planet Catfish and LiveAquaria and ask us once you decide or narrow it down.

I already have a Peppered Cory. Bought on the suggestion of a "PetSmart" professional as a good second fish in my Betta bowl. Didn't find out until I joined this forum that I am a big fat jerk for having only one Cory, in a 2 gallon bowl, with gravel. So as soon as I get the 55 gal up and running I will be stocking with several Peppered Corys. Meanwhile I have changed the substrate in the bowl to sand to keep him relatively happy until he can move, and a Cory friendly, plantable substrate will be used on the 55. Ive also got my eye out for a good deal on a 10-20 gal to transfer both the Betta and Cory to and retire the bowl tourtue chamber. My bad for trusting the PetSmart people to actually be "smart" about "pets", and for not doing any real research on my own. Lesson learned. This forum has been the best thing ever. I have learned so much in just a week since joining. Everyone is super helpful and friendly.i have got way more excited and serious about the hobby since joining.
Sorry for rambling. So, yes, Peppered Cory is the species I will be using. That is the base for me planning the rest of my tank.

I already have a Peppered Cory. Bought on the suggestion of a "PetSmart" professional as a good second fish in my Betta bowl. Didn't find out until I joined this forum that I am a big fat jerk for having only one Cory, in a 2 gallon bowl, with gravel. So as soon as I get the 55 gal up and running I will be stocking with several Peppered Corys. Meanwhile I have changed the substrate in the bowl to sand to keep him relatively happy until he can move, and a Cory friendly, plantable substrate will be used on the 55. Ive also got my eye out for a good deal on a 10-20 gal to transfer both the Betta and Cory to and retire the bowl tourtue chamber. My bad for trusting the PetSmart people to actually be "smart" about "pets", and for not doing any real research on my own. Lesson learned. This forum has been the best thing ever. I have learned so much in just a week since joining. Everyone is super helpful and friendly.i have got way more excited and serious about the hobby since joining.
Sorry for rambling. So, yes, Peppered Cory is the species I will be using. That is the base for me planning the rest of my tank.

Sorry yes, I remember your other thread now. I'm on 3 or 4 forums so forgive the holes in my memory.

Tina
Still not a dude

No worries. I appreciate your input.
Would you maybe have any insight on lighting? I have the stock hoods for the 55. So just 2 T8 bulbs. Not much there. Was hoping I could keep the hoods in use and somehow upgrade the lights to support plants that require low to mid level lighting. Maybe LED?
Thinking about CO2 injection systems too. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew though.

No worries. I appreciate your input.
Would you maybe have any insight on lighting? I have the stock hoods for the 55. So just 2 T8 bulbs. Not much there. Was hoping I could keep the hoods in use and somehow upgrade the lights to support plants that require low to mid level lighting. Maybe LED?
Thinking about CO2 injection systems too. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew though.

T8s will still grow lowlight plants.
Check what bulbs are in them.
Ideally ? I use 6,500K full spectrum. You can use other Kelvin ratings, but that is closest to sunlight and I think shows well

LEDs unless they are good ones, might just put out less PAR values than your T8s ???

Under equipment Forum ask the folks about lighting.

I have low light
10g mini CFLs screw in type
10g with Archaea LED fixture
( turns out both put out almost exactly same PAR value...low to low/Med light) CFL's $16-20 for 2 bulbs. The Archaea fixture was $75 but never burns out so far.

55g has an intense high light fixture. 4 bulbs x 54 watts each. 48" bulbs. I only use 2 at a time usually.

PAR measures how much useable light actually reaches the substrate.

But in dirted tanks if you move plants you can make a mess. Plants love it, but gotta read up and decide if you want to do it. I worry about the mess so I avoid dirt.

You can't use just any dirt.
Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil I think is what most use ? Sift before you use it.
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/darted-tank-start-to-finish.-332078.html

I lay down a pattern of Root Caps before adding sand.
This was my rimless 10g that I was smart enough to remember Root Caps then sand LOL
View attachment 291489

Ive literally used in the 12 different tanks ive had. the only dirt you cant use is anything with added fertilier unless you intend to keep the tank fish-free.

Ive literally used in the 12 different tanks ive had. the only dirt you cant use is anything with added fertilier unless you intend to keep the tank fish-free.

Literally used what ?

I'm told to avoid soil with wetting agents, perlite, added fertilizer and to make sure it's Organic Potting Soil, not Potting Mix.

For beginners my club always recommends Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil after sifting for large bits.

I'm sure there are many other things you can use.

But digging up dirt for an aquarium , without knowing about pesticides, metals or other content scares me. I prefer known and well documented substrates.

Yea I asked in the equipment forum. Nobody replied.

Post a pic of the writing on your bulbs or type what they say. I'm sure the PAR value is online somewhere.

But just assume it's going to be low light.

Look up low light plants.

Anubias ( lots of varieties)
Java Ferns
Crypts
Amazon Swords perhaps
Etc...

Regardless what my current lights are, I want to upgrade. Would like to continue using the hood if possible. Don't know if I can pull the light fixtures out and fit something a bit better in the same space.

I will get that info though

Back
Top Bottom