Sump/fuge upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JLH-l3ioCub3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'd like to get some input on an idea I have to add a refugium to my wet/dry. I have 17" (length) of room under my stand to fit another tank and was looking at dimensions on the Aqueon website to see what size I could accommodate. Looks like their 5.5 gallon is all I could fit but didn't know if that would be adequate for the 90gal DT. So here's my dilemma. If that isn't quite adequate, should I just go ahead and break the bank on a sump/fuge setup online and if I did, what would a good brand be?
I just thought it would be nice to have a separate fuge plumbed into my wet/dry.
The wet/dry is already drilled at the end on the return section side with two bulkheads that I could easily use for overflow & return for a separate tank I would use as a fuge.
Just wanted to see if this would be worth it because again I can only fit the standard aqueon 5.5 gal. without having to make a custom tank and maybe get another 3-5 gallons by making it taller.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

Here's a pic of the end of the wet/dry.

Attachments

• image-3399274177.jpg
    image-3399274177.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 55
If it was possible I'd say ditch the bio balls and make that compartment the refugium. Bio balls are considered an old method of filtration meaning there are newer and better ways. They can also be nitrate factories if not cleaned frequently which can be tedious.

obscurereef said:
If it was possible I'd say ditch the bio balls and make that compartment the refugium. Bio balls are considered an old method of filtration meaning there are newer and better ways. They can also be nitrate factories if not cleaned frequently which can be tedious.

Hmmm.... Good thought. I've been researching and seeing what people have done with theirs and I don't think it's as feasible with my style wet/dry. I'd have to do some major modding and was thinking originally of adding filtration by adding the fuge, not replacing existing filtration. I know what you're saying with the bio balls though. I plan on taking a hand full at a time out about a week apart and replacing with LR rubble. I'm still brainstorming. My best idea so far is to save $ for a big refugium setup. This is hard to pass with the wife...

Back
Top Bottom