Sump Help for Dummies- ME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I see how the water gets into the overflows, kinda like my cube. When the water is behind the overflow cover is there a hole in the glass for the water to go down to the filter? Or do you still have to buy overflow boxes to go over the lip?
No the water fills the overflow box and then enters the 2 pipes pointing down,the 3rd pipe pointing up is the emergency pipe in case the other 2 get blocked,this is known as the coast to coast,This is what I would use.

I'd recommend getting the tank drilled. If you have tempered glass then you obviously can't get it drilled, but I don't think I've seen a tank with the sides tempered. You can also get the bottom drilled, but the bottoms of tanks are more commonly tempered AFAIK. I've heard bad stuff about the u-tubes and how hard they are to start up, and how unreliable a lot are. I think drilling holes is just the way to go.

I would go with Hillage although my syphon overflow has never given me any problems you just need the correct sized return pump for the overflow,this is where most people have their problems.For example:if you use an overflow box capable of handling 800 gph you should use a pump that after head loss pumps around 750gph,If your return pump is too low(lets say 450gph)the flow going through the U tube isnt fast enough to pull any bubbles straight through it and eventually causing an air break and flood.

I've been pricing predilled dual overflow tanks.

Ok, I now undersatnd the very very basic part. What are your opinions on using the wet/dry I currently have. It's supposed to be rated to 125g at least. I don't see much room left over though after the output pump is put in. What about my skimmer and heater? I already have this filter so I wanted to see if I didn't have to invest in something else.

I'd recommend at leasst skimming over this. It explains what a sump or wet/dry is, the differences between a wet/dry and a sump, and why a sump would be good. Truthfully I'd go with a sump because of the advantages, but if you can't afford it or don't want to shell out the cash for it, then go ahead and use the wet/dry. They both would work, but I think the sump has more advantages to using it.

i just recently setup my sump maybe 2 days ago 10G under my 55G and i got a reef octopus in sump skimmer , had to get an overflow box because my tank wasnt drilled still waiting for the reef octopus to break in its only been 24 hours though

I'd recommend at leasst skimming over this. It explains what a sump or wet/dry is, the differences between a wet/dry and a sump, and why a sump would be good. Truthfully I'd go with a sump because of the advantages, but if you can't afford it or don't want to shell out the cash for it, then go ahead and use the wet/dry. They both would work, but I think the sump has more advantages to using it.

Great link, it helped alot. It would seem that the wet/dry is more of a fish only type filter. If I wanted to use a tank as the sump what would I need to do? Do they make them already sectioned off cause I'm not much of a DIY kinda girl. lol

Thanks for this thread, I had a lot of questions as well. Seems like a DIY sump would be really easy to make, and maybe fun.

I get water going down in and water going back up. But can someone link me or explain what happens in the sump? Should it be compartmentalized? If so, what are the compartments? How could filter media be used in there?

Great link, it helped alot. It would seem that the wet/dry is more of a fish only type filter. If I wanted to use a tank as the sump what would I need to do? Do they make them already sectioned off cause I'm not much of a DIY kinda girl. lol

two 10g rubbermaid's = sections

If you look around some people do sell them pre made. I'm probably doing it myself because its a little cheaper, but if you don't want to do it then go ahead and buy one. I don't see any problems with it. =)

For a DIY sump, you just get a tank, some glass/acrylic, and some silicone. Just silicone in the glass/acrylic according to the design you want. Then, just get the water to the sump in any way you feel fit. The wat will do its own thing and get to the other side, then just have a pump sitting there ready for some water.

For a pre-made approach, after getting the tank, just get your other equipment, and get the water to the tank. Have a pump taking it back up as well.

AFAIK, when starting up the tank, you fill up the sump to the level where you want it (usually just over the walls of the different sections), then you fill you display tank until it starts to go down the tubes to the sump. That way you have the right amount of water. Then you start up the pump, and the whole system gets moving. Also, doing it this way makes sure you don't have too much water, reducing the chances of a flood if the pump fails to return water.

I think I'm willing to go a bit higher level than rubbermaids. I was thinking a tank underneath with compartments. But how big of a tank? I know the bigger the better but I'll already have 125g of water so any mistakes can be fixed pretty easy I'd think. How much water volume extra would I need?

And heres a very good question, is it possible to run a reef with no sump? I mean if I had like 200lbs or more of rock and enough sand. I've seen it online as a totally natural way to keep a reef. I will probably be getting a reactor soon for GFO on my 55g so I could use that on a sumpless setup to run carbon or whatever I wanted.

one problem i need to figure out is how do i do water changes do i change the water in the sump? or do i shut everything down and do it from the main tank

I get water going down in and water going back up. But can someone link me or explain what happens in the sump? Should it be compartmentalized? If so, what are the compartments? How could filter media be used in there?

cichlid%20sump.jpg

This picture shows the overall system, and then shows the sump design. Yoo have it come in on one side, and get to the other through different types of filtration. Here they have some rocks and pot scrubbers (i think thats what they are) for bacteria, and to filter out solids. Then you have a refugium area (potted plants section). This is good for bacteria and other stuff (I'm still learning about refugiums). You can then put in your equipment and stuff, and then pump it back to the tank.

one problem i need to figure out is how do i do water changes do i change the water in the sump? or do i shut everything down and do it from the main tank

If I were you, I'd change the water in the sump. The only problem with that is making sure the equipment has enough water to keep running. If it doesn't, then I'd shut off whatever you need to in order to make sure they don't get damaged.

I think I'm willing to go a bit higher level than rubbermaids. I was thinking a tank underneath with compartments. But how big of a tank? I know the bigger the better but I'll already have 125g of water so any mistakes can be fixed pretty easy I'd think. How much water volume extra would I need?

And heres a very good question, is it possible to run a reef with no sump? I mean if I had like 200lbs or more of rock and enough sand. I've seen it online as a totally natural way to keep a reef. I will probably be getting a reactor soon for GFO on my 55g so I could use that on a sumpless setup to run carbon or whatever I wanted.

For me, I may be getting a tank as big as yours. I built a stand to hold a sump underneath, but then realized the DT can actually be used as a sump. I can get something as large as 170g. So, I though about my 55g and using it as a sump. For you (and for me) a 55g would work great for something in the 120 area. I might be getting that 170g ( :D ) and would probably still use my 55g. I can't remember the rough guestimate on how big you want a sump to be compared to the DT, but 55g would probably be good (and be worth actually having). I've seen smaller, and I've seen bigger. No worries, there isn't an exact amount defined. =)

Seeing as how this could be fun and a relatively cheap DIY project, I think I'm going to research a lot on sumps and build my own. I'll make a thread :p This could be a little ways off though.

Why have an overflow box. What would be wrong with siphoning directly to the sump?

Back
Top Bottom