Sump Question Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have the Toms Rapids Pro Series PS3 wet/dry filter with the auto fill system attached for my 75 gallon reef tank. Since adding the autofill feature I have had problems with the tank overflowing onto the carpet.
I am growing very concerned because I will be going on a 12-day vacation very soon. My mother-in-law will come over every other day to feed pre-portioned dried food and dump some RO water into the tank, but that is the extent of help I get while I will be gone.

Considering that I want to up grade to at bigger tank possibly as big as 180g, I may just want to get a good SUMP going now. I just want to buy something that is ready to go. I am willing to pay the extra money for that. Does anybody have any suggestions for me, regarding what sump I should get? Please keep size in mind to I have a 75gallon and will upgrade eventually to probably 180gallon max. My 75-gallon is not reef ready but when I buy a new tank, later in the year, I will buy a reef ready tank (if that makes any difference) Thanks.

The sump size I would shoot for is at least 20% of the tanks volume if not more. with a 180g at least a 40gallon would be ideal. Do you have room for a 40+ gallon sump under your 75gallon cabinet or do you plan to have it just sitting behind the 75gallon? I would research The cabinet dimensions of the new 180g tank before you purchase and buy as big of sump you can fit comfortably inside those dimensions. If money is not an issue than there are many companys that will build a sump/refugium just for you. I didn't have the time or patience either to make my own so I had Glass-Holes.com build it for me. Cost about 350.00 shipped.

Fval- It is not, but I think whats happening is that the surface skimmer is becomming clogged with stuff and not allowing enough water to fall below. I cleaned it all out and it seems to be better. But now that I have been converting to reef, I may be better just getting a real sump set up anyway.
Fiji- thanks, I will check out that site.

I like the idea of a custom fitted acrylic sump/fuge after carefully planning with the available space underneat the cabinet. For instance, I was able to fit a sump/fuge, external skimmer/stand, and a 37g reservoir for fresh water top-off system. But that was a bow tank. With that 180, I'm sure thinking you can get close to or at 20% sump/fuge. Just remember when working with the dimensions, know you can't fill it all the way up. It'll likely be closer to 60% full of water.

Length times width times depth will give you the gallons it holds. Take maybe 6" off the depth for the # of gallons your fuge can hold.

However, plan slowly and carefully while you have the chance. Is there a place to direct plumb a top off from the RO/DI?

Anyway, that 180 sounds good. Keep us posted, move deliberately and slowly and we'll help you out with some good options I'll bet.

Back
Top Bottom