Switching tanks, same size-how to do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treym563

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently bought a tank off craigslist, cycled it, and added fish. Now that i've looked around at other peoples tanks I notice that the glass on my tank isn't very good, there are scratches and the sides almost look milky as you look through them. I want to switch to a brand new tank but use everything that is currently in my tank, what do I need to do? Can I just get the new tank (make sure it's clean) add everything from my old tank (sand/rocks/filters etc.) and immediately put my fish in there? I was thinking I would use a rubbermaid tub and add a heater and airstone for my fish while I'm doing the switch. Any suggestions? I'm mainly concerned about starting a mini cycle and don't want to put my fish through that but I have nowhere else for them to go while I do this.

As long as you keep the same substrate and filter (pads) wet, the bacteria should survive and it should just be a quick transfer. I'm assuming the tank is the same size?

Your plan sounds good, even if by any chance there is a mini-cycle it won't last more than a couple of days. I've done this quite a few times with seeing any spikes in ammonia or nitrites after the switch. Just keep your media wet during the switch and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom