Tank is getting to hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have heard putting a computer fan blowing at the top of the water will cool it, I imagine the larger the fan the more cooling power it has! I'm assuming your heater isn't running...

too hot how? Room temperature should be no higher than 80* right.... I would bet your heater it toast...

Let me know how the fan works, if I recall a simple small computer fan dropped the temp 3 or 4 degrees and held it there.

Killing lights may also help. If you have a large filter that runs hot I'd kill that too..

And there is no real harm in dropping a ice cube in . "Depending"

All temp. fixes but if it's going to get that hot already I would invest in a few more of those fans or even a chiller

Chillers are expensive. I'm in Florida as well and usually see chillers on Craigslist once or twice a month. I don't use a chiller. Do you have a tank hood? If so if you leave it open does your tank cool down? I had to cut holes in the top of my hood because my lights were heating up and there wasn't enough ventilation. Now my tank runs 4 degrees cooler.

You an also float an icecube or two in a zip lock baggie. This will slowly reduce the temp.

exactly how hot is your tank? 80-81 is fine. I start to get worried when mine hits 90. Remember there are huge temperature fluctuations in the ocean too. (not to mention herpes) so your fish and plants can handle.

It should be fine aslong as it isnt hot like a bath!

Im lucky over here in England :)

Never too Hot Or cold

Wish we had more sun though!

If it is freshwater and you have cold temperature fish maybe. Most tropical fish are good from around 75-85.

Back
Top Bottom