Tao lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkey3425

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does the TT-AL09 model have lunar or night time lighting or will i need to get the TT-AL16 model with the timer to get the lunar feature? I'm entertaining the idea of dropping my 6ft MH fixture down to two Taos on my 210 to save on heat and power bills although they produce amazing coral colors. I'll eventually get a third tao fixture when i decide to get back into corals but for now my 210 will no longer be a reef tank. Also how long are LED fixtures good for until they shift spectrum?

Tao TT-AL09 dimmable
Amazon.com: TaoTronics® 120w Dimmable Led Aquarium Lights Aquarium Hoods Led Reef Light for Coral Fish Seaweed TT-AL09(3w/Led, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty): Pet Supplies
Tao TT-AL16 dimmable with timer
Amazon.com: TaoTronics® TT-AL16 120w Dimmable Timmer Led Aquarium Light Coral Reef Tank Light with Moonlights,Dimmable with Inner Digital Timer, Optical lens in High Par Value (Dimmable and Timmer): Pet Supplies

If you want the moon lighting you'll have to buy the TT-AL16 lights As far as i know
led's dont shift spectrum they just burn out The good news is they tend to last around 10 years with normal use. I do blow any dust out of mine once a month with compressed air

I have the tt-al16's and the built I timer is really nice but I don't run the moonlights as I found them to be way to bright to be considered moonlights the reason being that the 3 LEDs used font appear to be controlled by the dimmer and even just 3 LEDs at full power is way to bright over my 65 reef with the lights mounted @ 9" above the tank, but I would still buy them again. And if money is not an issue check out the tt-AL12's amazon has them for $399 but it seems to have a lot more options for programming, hope this helps and good luck with your research

I think ill stick with the tt-al16s the 12s don't really have enough options from the description to make me want to spend almost twice the amount. Plus I'll need three to cover my tank when I go back to a reef tank. ($1200 vs $650) last question do you think one would offer me enough light on a 72x26x26 tank for just normal viewing purposes? I don't have any corals anymore and haven't looked much into lighting since I upgraded to MH years ago.

Never mind ill need at least two if I switch. I forgot about my anemones in the tank. :( my saddlebacks like them too much to take them out. And a friend of mine bought the kessil 360 for his rimless 60 gallon and it is an amazing fixture as well. We will see how it grows corals but I have high expectations for it. Little too rich for my blood though lol

The 16's are nice mine just kicked on now, eventually I'll need to pick up a third as I want to move everything over to the RR 150 that's currently empty although I'm hoping to find a 180. Or 210 on CL something with 24 inches front to back so I can have a little more real estate and depth of field for scaping

The 16's are nice mine just kicked on now, eventually I'll need to pick up a third as I want to move everything over to the RR 150 that's currently empty although I'm hoping to find a 180. Or 210 on CL something with 24 inches front to back so I can have a little more real estate and depth of field for scaping
Yeah I'm sticking with the 16s money isn't that big if a deal but it's more of a what am I getting for the extra money and I don't see enough to pay double the price of the 16s for tao12s lol

You can buy a few blue leds and use them for your moon lights way cheaper option

I use a strand of blue LED Christmas lights for moonlights. Save the money and get the bare bones dimmables.

I use a strand of blue LED Christmas lights for moonlights. Save the money and get the bare bones dimmables.

Good idea. I'll just use the cheap chinese rope lit kits off ebay and 3m it to the underside of my canopy. They have a 9 foot rope for $20 so i'll just do that and zig zag it.

Just make sure it's not too bright. That sounds like it might be kind of bright for moonlights. I have those Christmas lights hanging about 3 feet above the tank. They have the tank so dim that you really have to sit in the dark room for a while before your eyes can actually adjust to see the lights are on.

Back
Top Bottom