tap water and crazy nitrite levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmerizzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
not sure if this forum is applicable to this ? i have 3 tanks 2 freshwater and i often do water changes/top offs by adding tap (only for fresh tanks) to 5 gal bucket add chems (amquel/seachem prime/aqueon etc) some times it sits with a wavemaker and heater for a few days and i realize the no2 levels on pretest going bonkers but tested at tap are 0 is this normal . nh3 # always 0 thx

not sure if this forum is applicable to this ? i have 3 tanks 2 freshwater and i often do water changes/top offs by adding tap (only for fresh tanks) to 5 gal bucket add chems (amquel/seachem prime/aqueon etc) some times it sits with a wavemaker and heater for a few days and i realize the no2 levels on pretest going bonkers but tested at tap are 0 is this normal . nh3 # always 0 thx

It sounds like your bucket water is going through the nitrogen cycle. Does your tap test positive for ammonia?

Have you ever tried growing hornwort? I keep it in my goldfish tank, it's like a sponge for ammonia and nitrates

My tap water has a high ph of 8.4 and I'm researching that..but nitrates are ok

Have you ever tried growing hornwort? I keep it in my goldfish tank, it's like a sponge for ammonia and nitrates

My tap water has a high ph of 8.4 and I'm researching that..but nitrates are ok
this advice is good. using live plants such as hornwort will quickly remove anmonia/nitrites etc..

Back
Top Bottom