TDS meter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CobraSnake7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just received my TDS meter in the mail, checked my water from my sink fawset, and it read 18. Checked it the next day, and it was the same. Sounds good to me. Question I have is what does TDS stand for, and what do the numbers mean as far as quality goes. Also, I would think that it is good enough water to use in my tanks. Yes, or No??? My water comes from Millerton Lake in Friant, Ca.

TDS stands for Total Dissolved Solids. The meters generally read in microsiemans, with the TDS being higher with higher numbers. The meters measure the conductivity of the water, so the more dissolved mineral content, the higher the reading. if you are getting a reading of 18 microsiemans, your water must be quite soft, Our tapwater here runs in the 300 to 400 range. A TDs meter won't measure the quality of the water, but in general terms, if the water is safe to drink, it is generally usable for most fish.

Conductivity meters read in micrisiemens.

TDS meters read in part per million, or PPM. Meaning for every million parts of water, you have 18 parts of dissolved solids. That is exceptionally low (meaning VERY good). Average for the US is probably around 250 ppm, and we have customers over 1200 ppm.

Russ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom